DOTHAN Ala.(WTVY)- A fire at a local high school Thursday morning gave students a day off from class.
Cottonwood High School's science lab went up in flames around 3:00AM. The lab suffered severe smoke damage and was a total loss.
School officials say the fire was due to an equipment failure.
CHS maintenance supervisor Dominick Curran said, “One of the through the wall air conditioners in the science lab, basically a motor overheated, it erupted into flames. In front of the unit there were some combustible materials.”
School officials will be working to clean up the lab while students are gone for Christmas break.
They tell us it's safe for students to return to school Friday morning.