Fire in a Bonifay restaurant leaves the building damaged

By  | 

BONIFAY, Fla. (WTVY) Bonifay residents called 911 after seeing clouds of smoke coming out of a business.

A grease fire started in the kitchen of the Cancun Mexican Restaurant.

Water was thrown on the fire causing an explosion that left a hole in the roof of the building.

When Bonifay firefighters made it to the scene there was still fire coming through the roof.

Due to the quick response, the fire did not cause total destruction.

"Had some help from Chipley fire department, Esto fire department, Vernon fire department. I had two off duty Walton County paid firemen that stopped in and were of great assistance," says Bonifay Fire Chief Larry Cook.

No one was injured in the fire.