DOTHAN, Ala. (WTVY) - In keeping with the Safer at Home guidelines provided by Governor Kay Ivey on May 21, 2020 and following recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Leisure Services staff have developed the following, revised Phased Opening Plan for our facilities and programs.
COVID-19 Feeding Program:
The COVID-19 Feeding Program will continue through Phase I. Currently, staff is feeding 1,550 meals per day and starting June 1st will increase to 2,000 meals per day. Rose Hill Senior Center is currently serving 70 homebound meals to seniors.
Disc Golf Course, Eastgate Park: The Disc Golf course at Eastgate Park is currently open. Players are not allowed to share equipment and must maintain social distancing throughout play.
Outdoor Fitness Court: The Outdoor Fitness Court, located inside Westgate Park, is currently open. We ask that everyone practice social distancing when using this area.
Outdoor Trails: Outdoor trails, including the Westgate Fitness Trail and the Forever Wild Trails, are currently open. We ask that everyone practice social distancing when using these areas.
Summer Camp Registration Information: The following summer camps will open following the guidelines from the Governor’s Office and the CDC: Camp Choctaw at Doug Tew, Playground Programs at Andrew Belle, Walton Park and Wiregrass Park. Participants will be placed in groups of 10 and will remain with that group of 10 throughout the camp. Participants will practice social distancing within the group of 10. During the drop off time, participants will be screened via questions and taking their temperature. Participants with a temperature will not be allowed to enter the building. If a participant tests positive for COVID-19, the entire group of 10 will be sent home for a 2-week period.
Camp Choctaw: Registration begins June 2, 4-6 p.m., Doug Tew Recreation Center; Camp starts June 8.
Andrew Belle Playground Program: Registration begins June 6, 9 a.m.-Noon, Andrew Belle Recreation Center; Camp starts June 8.
Walton Park Playground Program: Registration begins June 6, 9 a.m.-Noon, Walton Park; Camp starts June 8.
Wiregrass Park Playground Program: Registration begins June 6, 9 a.m.-Noon, Wiregrass Park; Camp starts June 8.
PHASE I: Effective Friday, May 22, 2020 at 5 p.m.:
Various Fields: The following fields will be open to the public for casual use and practice only:
- All soccer fields at Westgate Park
- Beauchamp & Gilbert softball fields at Westgate Park
- All baseball and softball fields at Doug Tew Park
- All baseball fields at Walton Park
- All softball fields at Wiregrass Park
The following will be posted at each of these facilities:
Citizens must always observe 6 feet of social distancing. Please take all necessary precautions to sanitize equipment between each use, such as helmets and bats. These facilities will be closely monitored for compliance.
Archery Range at Eastgate Park: The Archery Range at Eastgate Park will open to organized practice and casual use with the following guidelines from the Governor’s office and the CDC: participants should maintain social distancing of 6 feet and not share equipment.
BMX Track: The BMX track will be open to organized practice with the following guidelines from the Governor’s office and the CDC: participants should maintain social distancing of 6 feet and not share equipment.
Circle City BMX
• All riders must use their own equipment including helmets, gloves, jerseys, and bikes.
• All riders must sign in before riding the track-no exceptions.
• Restrooms and concessions will be closed until June 15th.
• Spectators and participants are encouraged to bring their own chairs.
• Bleachers will not be used until further notice.
• A maximum of 10 people can group together at any time (this means around the gate and the spectator area); social distancing is in effect.
• A maximum of 4 people out of the gate at each gate drop.
• No stopping along the track.
• No dropping in off of the backs of the turns.
• Wait for gate at each line segment on the starting gate area – maintain proper distancing behind the gate and down the starting gate area.
• No loaner bikes or helmets will be available.
• All riders must have a signed waiver or USA BMX membership to ride.
• Parents – please do not congregate at the top of the starting gate – riders only!
• You will be asked to leave if there is a problem following any of these protocols.
Certain Pickleball and Tennis Courts: The following pickleball and tennis courts will open for play: Andrew Belle, Eastgate Park, Kinney Park, Rip Hewes, Walton Park, and Wiregrass Park. Courts will open for casual play only. Players must observe social distancing as recommended by the CDC. We recommend no equipment sharing to include pickleball and tennis balls. Please be prepared with more than one can of balls marked for each player to use on serve. It is also recommended each player use his/her racquet to pick up the balls, rather than using their hands. Then players would return the server’s marked balls for play.
PHASE II: Effective Tuesday, May 26, 2020:
Westgate Competition Pool: The Westgate Competition Pool will partially re-open for limited lap swim and swim team hours. All swimmers will be screened before entering the pool. Lap swim will be offered Monday through Friday from 6-8 a.m., 11 a.m.-1 p.m., and 5-6 p.m. Only eight swimmers at a time (one per lane) will be permitted to swim and each swimmer will have a 30-minute time limit if there is a wait to use the pool. The locker rooms will be closed, so we ask that each swimmer use the lobby restrooms, if necessary. Since the dressing rooms will be closed, we ask that swimmers come and go in their swim wear. We ask that all lap swimmers maintain a social distance minimum of six feet while utilizing the facility by entering by the pool desk and exiting through the lobby. Personal equipment may be used, but facility equipment will be off limits. There will be no fee charged for lap swim during COVID-19. No visitors will be allowed in the building at this time. Department staff will notify the members of the Dothan Dolphin Swim Team with practice details.
Westgate Recreation Center Fitness/Weight Room: The Fitness/Weight Room will re-open for limited hours. Participants will continue to check in at the pool desk, just like lap swimmers, for screening. A maximum of 8 participants will be allowed, instead of the normal 12 to assist with proper distancing. Staff will continue to provide sanitizer spray for equipment with paper towels. Free standing hand sanitizer dispensers will be located at the door to encourage participants to sanitize their hands. Custodians and building staff will disinfect equipment, common areas, and high touch surfaces every 2 hours. We have adjusted our equipment layout to provide 6 feet of distance between each piece of equipment and we have removed the dumbbells. During COVID-19, there will be no fee to use the weight room. The hours of operation are:
Monday – Friday: 6 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday: Closed
Westgate Tennis Center: The Westgate Tennis Center will open to the public during the designated hours listed below and patrons must follow all the procedures listed.
• The side gate will be open for the public to enter the courts.
• All fees for free court play will be waived due to COVID-19.
• Even courts will be used from 8 a.m. – Noon. Odd courts will be used from Noon – until closing.
• Only the restrooms by the back courts will be open to the public. The building will remain closed to the public.
• It is recommended all players use separate cans of balls. No sharing of equipment will be allowed.
• Hours: Monday – Friday: 8 a.m. – 8 p.m.; Saturday: 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.; Sunday: Noon – 6 p.m.
*We will use odd and even courts at separate times to keep everyone more than 6 feet apart.
*By June 15th all Westgate Tennis Center facilities will be open.
Certain Restroom Facilities: The following outdoor restroom facilities will be cleaned by staff every 2 hours and will remain open to the public during the designated hours listed below:
• Eastgate Park Dog Park and Playground Pavilion restrooms: Monday-Saturday, 6 a.m.-7 p.m. & Sunday: Noon-7 p.m.
• James Oates Park restrooms (Taylor Road entrance): Monday-Friday, 7 a.m.-7 p.m.; Saturday, 7 a.m.-Noon, Closed on Sunday
• Kiwanis Park restrooms: Monday-Sunday, 6:30 a.m.-8 p.m.
• Westgate Park at Soccer Complex restrooms: Monday-Sunday, 6:30 a.m.-8 p.m.
• Westgate Tennis Center Courtside restrooms: Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-8 p.m.; Saturday, 8 a.m.-4 p.m.; Sunday, Noon-6 p.m.
PHASE III: Effective Monday, June 1, 2020:
Baseball / Softball Leagues: Practices for Youth Baseball and Softball Programs will begin June 1, 2020. Regular season games for Youth Baseball and Softball will begin June 15th, 2020. A reasonable sanitation schedule of all shared equipment and surfaces will be maintained. Six (6) feet social distancing guidelines are to be maintained among players, officials, and spectators when possible. Concessions may be provided by June 15th.
PHASE IV: Effective Monday, June 15, 2020:
All Tournaments: Tournament play will begin effective Monday, June 15, 2020.
To Be Announced Soon:
Therapeutic Programs and Camp Smile:
All Outdoor Pools and Westgate Wellness Pool:
Water World: Expect opening by the end of June
Not Open to the Public:
All Basketball Courts – These will remain closed as we begin to set-up and prepare for summer camps.
All Gymnasiums – These will remain closed as we begin to set-up and prepare for summer camps.
All Outdoor Restrooms not mentioned above
Andrew Belle Splash Pad
Rose Hill Senior Center
Water World – see above
As new information becomes available, decisions will be made regarding opening these facilities. Please continue to follow the City and Leisure Services social media accounts and the City website.