Woman claims she was shocked in Volcano Bay lazy river hours before early closure

By  | 

Orlando, Fla. (WESH / NBC News Channel) A woman claims she was zapped by an electrical shock at Universal's Volcano Bay hours before the park was shut down for what officials called "technical issues."

Wendy Lee said she believes Universal is trying to cover up what really happened at Volcano Bay on Sunday.

Lee said she was floating in one of the lazy rivers when she was zapped by an electrical shock.

"It was like I ran into a wall. There were lots of tingles in my legs and before I knew it, a buzzing in my ears, and I had a metallic taste in my mouth," Lee said.

Earlier this week, a Universal employee told Wesh 2 News he and some lifeguards also felt buzzing in their feet. He said they reported it to supervisors but the park stayed open.

Lee said one lifeguard suggested she get out of the water. Another visitor, who had already floated through the same area, was more emphatic.

"It was actually another guest who was hollering at me to get out of the water," Lee said.

Universal has only called the problem a technical issue, not confirming there was an electrical issue. They said no park visitors were transported to the hospital.

Lee shared a report Universal gave her that supports her story.

The report said her incident happened close to 9:30 a.m.

Universal didn't close Volcano Bay until about 4:40 p.m., after four employees were taken to the hospital. OSHA confirmed they are investigating that incident.

"My incidents happened at 9:30 in the morning. So I don't understand why they stayed open for seven hours, putting those people's lives at risk," Lee said.

On Monday, Chopper 2 captured see some of the tube slides apparently shut down.

On Wednesday, the fast-moving lazy river and one of the tube rides were closed again.

"They need to go to whatever lengths they have to to get it fixed," Lee said.

The following statement was issued by a spokesperson for Universal:

"We know there are questions about the issues we've recently faced at Volcano Bay and we want to answer those questions. Here is what happened.

On Sunday, several guests began to tell us they felt "shocks" or other similar sensations while in the park. Some of our lifeguards also told us they felt something.

Here is what we did.

First, we began to care for our guests and team members. Our medical staff asked each guest if they wanted to go to the hospital. All said no. A small number of our lifeguards asked to go to the hospital. Fortunately, they were quickly released and are fine.

It took us some time to understand exactly where these shocks were occurring. As we identified specific areas, we quickly closed rides and other parts of those areas. We eventually closed the entire park out of an abundance of caution.

Our public statement used the phrase, "technical issues." We wanted to fully understand what was happening and to what degree -- and then to fix it. We have worked with OUC, outside electrical contractors and our own experts -- and we now know the problem is specifically electrical. We have spent the hours and days since Sunday testing and re-testing our electrical system across the entire park. And we have made repairs and modifications to our electrical system. We believe this has resolved the issue.

Some attractions within Volcano Bay remain closed while we continue testing -- just to make sure everything is ok. We'll open them as soon as we can.

The Occupational Safety and Health Administration has been on site today. We want the same thing they do -- which is to make sure everyone is safe. And so we are working closely with them.

We know it is disturbing to feel any level of shock in a water park. We definitely understand and want you to know that the safety -- and trust -- of our guests and team members is vital to us.

Everything we do is motivated by their safety. And that was the case on Sunday.

We believe this problem is resolved and that our park is safe.

Thank you."