CHRISTCHURCH, New Zealand (AP) -- New Zealand Police Commissioner Mike Bush says the death toll has increased to 49 in shootings at two mosques.
Ambulance staff take a man from outside a mosque in central Christchurch, New Zealand, Friday, March 15, 2019. A witness says many people have been killed in a mass shooting at a mosque in the New Zealand city of Christchurch.
Bush told a news conference that a man has been charged with murder and will appear in court tomorrow. He would not say whether the same shooter was responsible for both attacks.
A man who earlier claimed responsibility said he was a 28-year-old Australian and described anti-immigrant motives in a manifesto.
Police earlier said four people had been taken into custody, and one had been identified as Australian. However, Bush didn't mention the other people.
Bush clarified that police had found two improvised explosive devices in one car. He said they had disabled one and were in the process of disabling the second.