Man left without a home after wood-burning stove fire

By  | 

HALEBURG, Ala. (WTVY)- Just a couple days after Christmas and a Wiregrass man is left with nothing to call home.

Homeowner John Moseley said, “The 911 operator told me to get out of the house and I said I’m trying to ma'am but I can hardly see. I got down and crawled underneath the smoke was so bad you couldn't see and I crawled under the door go the door open and got outside."

Mosely left his wood stove burning to keep warm and before he knew it his house went up in flames.

"The fire was coming across the ceiling I grabbed the fire extinguisher but it didn't do any good.”

Moseley had lived in the home for more than 40 years and now that it's gone he's forced to rebuild, but it's going to be a big challenge.

"My funds are limited -- that and social security but I’ll make it. I always do.”

Although Mosely’s house is a total loss he's not going to let it get him down. He’s going to build a new one just like the old one and start from scratch.

With the help of Mosely’s grandson and neighbors, the Henry County school bus driver is sure he'll be back on his feet in no time.

Multiple volunteer fire departments responded to the fire.



 
Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus