LIST: Local school districts helping students with meals due to coronavirus
With schools closed due to the coronavirus, districts are working to get meals to students who depend on school for a healthy breakfast or lunch.
Several districts have already created plans to make sure students are getting fed. Some are setting up times for drive-through lunch pickups. Others have meal delivery routes they will be running.
Here's what we we know for local school districts so far. If there's something we need to add to the list -- just drop us a note at
- Houston County School will offer meals for children under 18 on Tuesday, March 24th and Thursday, March 26th.
The following schools will serve bagged meals in their car lines:
• Ashford Elementary School
• Cottonwood High School
• Rehobeth Elementary School (South Car Line)
Additional locations will be served by way of school bus service. Please look for a Houston County School bus during the hours of 11:00 am through 1:00pm. Bus Service Locations include:
• Columbia: Housing Authority Apartments and Connecting Neighborhoods
• Webb: Dollar General Parking Lot
• Kinsey: Chevy Country & Kinsey Pavilion
• Gordon Town Hall
• Ashford: Weeks Trailer Park & Rainbow Trailer Park
• Cowarts: Breeze-In Mart
• Cottonwood: Housing Authority Apartments and Connecting Neighborhoods
• Rehobeth: Magnolia Park, Paisleigh Park, Coggins Trailer Park,
• Iris Court Mobile Home Park
• Wicksburg: Beaver Creek Mobile Homes, Doc Road, Pine Acres, Laurel Lane
- Beginning Wednesday (March 18) carry out lunches will be provided at the following schools.
• Beverlye Intermediate
• DCS Head Start
• Jerry Lee Faine Elementary
• Kelly Springs Elementary
• Morris Slingluff Elementary
• Selma Street Elementary
The meals, funded by USDA, will be served until at least April 3 with the exception of the week of March 23, when spring break had been scheduled. During that week, meals will be served at select recreational centers in Dothan.
- They are providing free grab-and-go meals for all children under 18. Meal service will run Monday-Friday from March 30 to April 3. One lunch will be provided for each child present. There will be no ID or paperwork required. Meals can not be eaten on site.
There will be drive-thru or curbside pickup meal service in front of the following schools:
• Midland City Elementary School
• Newton Elementary School
• Ariton School
• G.W. Long Elementary School
There will be pick-up meals at designated bus delivery stops:
• Jasmine Hills, 1518 Andrews Avenue, Ozark
• Newton marathon Station, 8363 Hwy 231, Ozark
• MP Surplus Parking Lot, 1229 AL Hwy 134, Pinckard
• Coach's petro Station, 1496 Co. Rd. 112, Midland City
• IGA Parking Lot, 14930 US Hwy 231, Midland City
• Rocky Head Baptist Church, 1983 AL Hwy 51, Ariton
• Marley Mill Fire Station, 3299 Co. Rd. 21, Ozark
• Echo Fire Department, 11687 Al Hwy 27, Newville
• Ewell Baptist Church, 64 Susie St., Ozark
- We understand that school closing for an extra week may pose some challenges. To provide additional support, we would like to provide students with lunch on March 30–April 3, 2020. We will deliver lunches to central locations throughout the City of Ozark. To initiate this service,
and send it back to your child’s school, so we will have an accurate count. You can also place an order by calling 334-774-5197,ext. 2504; 334-445-3800; or 334-774-5197 ext. 2515. These orders must be placed by Thursday, March 19, 2020. Meals will be delivered each day during the week of March 30–April 3, 2020, at 11:30 am. We will notify you of the drop off locations.
- We are working on plans to provide lunch and breakfast for our students while we are out next week at pick up points on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday next week. (We will not serve meals during our spring break.) We will be providing specific directions about pick up points soon.
- Grab-N-Go Food Distribution: Students must be present to pick up food. This is not a place to socialize or congregate. Schedule: Thursday, March 19 thru Friday, March 27 from 11:00 AM - 12:00 PM each weekday.
• Kinston School
• New Brockton Elementary and High School
• Zion Chapel School
• Ino Baptist Church
• Martin Trailer Court
• Kountry Korner
• Pine Tree Estates
- Enterprise City Schools will provide an opportunity for families with children between the ages of 1 and 18 years of age to receive free meals beginning March 19th through March 27, 2020 at the following locations, Monday through Friday.
• Coppinville School of Opportunity (Old Coppinville) - 301 North Ouida Street, Enterprise, AL from 11:00 – 11:30
• Pinedale Elementary School - 207 Plaza Drive, Enterprise, AL from 11:00 – 11:30
• Rucker Blvd Elementary School - 209 Regency Drive, Enterprise, AL from 11:00 – 11:30
Pick-up location will be in front of the school. Meals will be handed out based on the number of children.
• Faith Community Church - 104 Private Drive, Enterprise, AL from 11:00 – 11:25
• Westview Baptist Church - 809 Damascus Road, Enterprise, AL from 11:40 – 12:00
• Dixie Drive Apartments - 201 Dixie Drive, Enterprise, AL from 11:00 – 11:30
• Endale Estates - 25975 AL-134 Hwy from 11:00 – 11:25
• Pleasant Grove Missionary Church - 805 Coppinville Road, Enterprise, AL from 11:40 – 12:00
• College Street Elementary School - 605 West College Street, Enterprise, AL from 11:00 – 11:30
Pick-up locations will have a bus/van drive up to hand out meals during the times listed above. Meals will be handed out based on the number of children.
- If you would like to donate food to be given away to students in need at Elba City Schools, we will be collecting items Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. Collection boxes will be in the front office. Items that students could fix themselves such as: Instant oatmeal, Cereal bars/granola bars, Pop-tarts, Cans of spaghetti, Mac n cheese cups, or microwave packets. Vienna sausage, cups of soup, ramen noodles or noodle bowls, Jerky sticks, Fruit cups, Individual bowls/boxes of cereal, Cheese crackers, Chips, Peanut Butter, Jelly. Individual serving sizes preferred. We will get items out to students as needed before the school closure.
- We will be serving curbside meals at each high school on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday of this week. The pick up time will be 10:30-11:30. Refer to the flier for pickup information. Elementary and middle school students will pick up their meals at the high schools. March 23-27 we are observing our previously scheduled spring break so teachers and staff will not be available to serve meals. Beginning the week of March 30, we will resume making curbside meals available at each high school for all students who are 18 and under. Elementary and middle school students will pick up their meals at the high school.
- Food was collected before schools closed and given to students in need.
- Free meals for all children under 18
Dates & Times: Monday, March 30th - Friday, April 3rd, 11:00 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.
Mobile Meal Service Locations - Pick up Meal at Designated Bus Delivery Stops:
• Turner's Drilling (8688 County Road 97, Abbeville)
• Brown Town Park (Corner of Co. Rd. 107 & Co. Rd. 145, Abbeville)
• Bethlehem Missionary Baptist Church (1299 County Road 25, Abbeville)
• The Old Abbeville Middle School (Gilliam Street, Abbeville)
• Town of Newville (Broad Street, parking lot across from the Post Office)
• Douglas Park (312 Main Street, Headland)
• Bethlehem Baptist Church (2506 Hwy 134, Headland)
• New Zion Freewill Baptist Church (9716 County Road 99, Headland)
- deliveries will take place on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday and will also contain multiple meals. Be patient at the bus stop since the busses may be running slower than normal to unload materials to parents. In order to receive the deliveries of food, parents are asked to call their child's school by 2 p.m. tomorrow or by 2 p.m. on Friday for the following week.
- Children will be able to receive meals Monday through Friday starting Monday, March 23, through Friday, April 3. Locations are setup to distribute grab-and-go breakfast and lunch for all Eufaula City Schools’ students and any child 18 or under.
Children must be present to receive a meal. Pick-up times will be from 10:30 a.m.-12:00 p.m. at the following locations:
• Eufaula Early Learning Center/Central Office Lunchroom (333 State Docks Road)
• Eufaula Elementary School Lunchroom (422 Sanford Avenue)
The dinner program at Eufaula High School will continue as scheduled this week, March 16-19. The program will close for spring break and will start again on Monday, March 30, even though schools will be still be closed.
- While schools are closed, ACS will be providing FREE meals to ALL children 18 and under. This will be a GRAB and GO type service. Families may drive through or walk up and pick up meals. Per USDA regulations, children must be present in order for meals to be provided. Meal distribution sites will be set up outside in the parking lot or area as described below. If driving, please stay in your car and meals will be passed through to the driver based on the number of children in the car. This program will be solely for pick up of meals, and meals will NOT be consumed onsite.
Dates are as follows: March 19, March 20, March 30, April 1 and April 3 between 10:30am-12:30pm at one of the sites listed below. On 3/19 and 3/20 children will receive 1 breakfast and 1 lunch each day. We will then resume the week of March 30 as follows: Mondays each child will receive 2 breakfasts and 2 lunches (4 meals) Wednesdays each child will receive 2 breakfasts and 2 lunches (4 meals) On Friday each child will receive 1 breakfast and 1 lunch (2 meals)
• Head Start (Seegers Street)
• Central office/Old Andalusia Middle School (CC Baker Avenue)
• Johnson Park/Andalusia Estates
• Old Cannon Gas Station on River Falls Street
• Andalusia Junior High (408 4. Avenue)
- Beginning Monday. March 30th and running through Friday. April 3rd Opp City Schools will be providing sack breakfast and lunch meals to anyone 18 years of age and under free of charge.
The Opp Middle School Cafeteria will also be open as a pick-up site in addition to these following drop off sites:
• Opp Housing Authority Community Center
• Carver Court (Mullins Apartments)
• Opp Heod Start Parking Lot
• Rhea Avenue/Lunsford Trailer Pork
• Cool Springs Trailer Park
• Old Micolas Mill Pool Parking Lot
• Williams Road Apartments (Knot's Landing)
Breakfast - Meals will be available at 8:30 a.m. at each location listed
Lunch - Meals will be avaiable at 12:00 p.m. at each location listed
The Opp Middle School Cafeteria will offer the following times for meal pickup: Breakfast - 8:30 a.m. - 9:30 a.m. and Lunch - 12:00 - 1:00 p.m.
- Meals served between 10:30 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. on March 19, 20, 23, 24, 25, 26, and 27 in the parking lot of the following locations. Each sack meal will include breakfast and lunch.
• In Brantley, meals can be picked up at Brantley High School and Dozier Town Hall
• In Highland Home, meals can be picked up at Highland Home School Drop-off Line, Helicon Community Center, and Honoraville Community Center
• In Luverne, meals can be picked up at Luverne High School, Faith Walk Church, Rutledge Community Center, and Petrey Town Hall
- A meal distribution plan will take place on weekdays from March 19-20 and March 23 through April 3. Breakfast and lunch will be provided to students 18 and under from 9 a.m. until noon at these locations.
• Pike County Elementary School
• Goshen High School
- Feeding Gulf Coast will be serving grab and go meals tomorrow at Esto Town Hall and Ponce de Leon Town Hall from 10 a.m.-12 p.m . On Thursday an additional serving site will open at the old hospital on Byrd Avenue in Bonifay. The state has activated their Summer BreakSpot website, where families can find free meals for children under 18 during the current school closures. The meal locations and schedules can be found at https://summerbreakspot.freshfromflorida.com/. Beginning March 30, our district will implement our own feeding plan.
- (March 15) Jackson County School District personnel and Sodexo Food Service have been working during the weekend to develop a plan for providing meals to Jackson County students during this unexpected school closing. Breakfast and lunch meals will be provided Monday, March 16 through Friday, March 20th. Meals will be offered curbside/drive thru each day between the hours of 9:30 and 11:30 AM at the following school sites:
• Sneads Elementary School
• Grand Ridge School
• Malone School
• Graceville Elementary School
• Golson Elementary School
• Riverside Elementary School
• Marianna Middle School
• Cottondale Elementary School
Parents/ students should report to the normal car rider pick-up area at the respective schools. Curbside meals will be available each day March 16 through March 20. In addition to the curbside/drive through service each day, meals will be delivered to homes by school bus on Tuesday, March 17 and Thursday, March 19th. The meals delivered by bus will be breakfast and lunch for two days. Federal guidelines do not allow for meals to be provided during the week of Spring Break (March 23 — 27). Meals provided during this temporary school closing will not be packaged using food allergy considerations. Parents and guardians are responsible for monitoring any food allergy requirements. Federal Department of Agriculture (National School Lunch Program) regulations require the child to be present to receive a meal. It is important to note that children do not have to be of school age or attend school to receive a meal. All children 18 years of age and younger may receive a meal and any special needs student 21 years of age and younger may receive a meal.
(March 17) Currently, plans are to continue the student meals program following Spring Break and details will be announced.
- The Washington County School District will begin distributing breakfast and lunch bags beginning Tuesday, March 17 to students in need. The district says buses will stop at bus stops in the outlying regions of the county beginning at 10 a.m. each morning.
Curb-side distribution sites will be available at the following locations:
• Vernon Elementary School
• Kate M. Smith Elementary School
• Yes, Lord Deliverance Church
• TJ Roulhac Enrichment Center
You can reach out to the district office at 850-638-6222 with any questions.
- The Walton County School District is currently developing a plan to help feed students the week of March 23-27, our state mandated school closure. We know families and employees expected to be out March 16-20 for Spring Break and may be traveling safely to visit family and friends as anticipated. Therefore, we believe our students are in good hands with families this coming week.
However, beginning the week of March 23-27, the WCSD is working on a plan for food distribution and service because as always we are committed to the health and safety of our students. Superintendent A. Russell Hughes states, "We do not want any Walton County Student to go without food."
On Monday, March 23, the WCSD will provide one meal for students, lunch, and starting Tuesday, March 24 through Friday, March 27, the WCSD will provide two meals a day, breakfast and lunch. Time and locations are being determined, we will release more detailed information as soon as plans have been solidified.
During the extended time out of school, Food For Thought will provide food bags for students who are part of that program and normally receive bags on Fridays. The bags may be picked up on Monday, March 23rd 8:00-10:00 a.m. or 4:00-6:00 p.m. at 132 Market Street in Santa Rosa Beach, FL. For more information, please visit their website fftfl.org.
- Breakfasts, snacks, and lunches are available at the Early County Middle School bus area from 9 AM until 10:30 AM during weekdays through April 10. Starting Thursday, March 19. we will start delivering meals to different areas in town as well as in Damascus. Cedar Springs. and Jakin. Arlington meals are being provided by Calhoun County. We will need volunteers to help disperse meals at different points in the city and the county. Mr. Shippee and Coach Allred are currently working on bus routes and times of delivery. We may also need help with production if we are able to provide more than pre-packaged options. Be looking out for a document that requests assistance in production and dispersal of meals.
- Breakfast and lunch distribution will begin Thursday, March 19th. Locations to be announced.