Who is top dog in the Wiregrass?
Tell us who serves up your favorite hot dog.
DOTHAN, Ala. (WTVY) - You can’t have the 4th of July without a hotdog. In fact, one of the biggest events of the day will be the annual hotdog eating contest in New York.
The 2021 Nathan’s Famous International Hot Dog Eating Contest Champs Michelle Lesco and Joey Chestnut look to continue their reign in 2022 when they take the big stage Monday.
The holiday and competition bring up the question of who has the best dog here locally. The answer varies depending on who you talk to.
In Enterprise, the answer you will likely hear more than any will be Cutts Family Restaurant. Their hotdog is so popular a children’s book series has been created and sold in the restaurant by a member of the family.
In March, Cutts Family Restaurant held an appreciation day complete with a hotdog eating contest.
In Dothan, there are a number of contenders for top dogs. Some have been around forever while others are just getting started.
Honey’s Hotdogs is a long-time Dothan staple. In addition to their chili dog, you can also get a chili bun or a soggy dog.
First opened in 2002, the favorite is a chili slaw dog all the way.
Stix & Cones are known for their ice cream. They also offer a number of sandwiches including hotdogs.
You can get a plain hotdog, a chili dog, or a chili cheese dog. Fans of the restaurant say you won’t be disappointed.
|HOTDOG HISTORY||FAST FACTS YOU MAY NOT KNOW|
|Sandwich or not?||A hotdog is not a sandwich.|
|Hotdog Spending||In 2018, consumers spent more than $3 billion on hot dogs in U.S. supermarkets.|
|About the Name||Franks and wieners were the original names for the Americanized hot dogs.|
|Peak Hotdog Season||During peak hot dog season, from Memorial Day to Labor Day, Americans are expected to consume 7 billion hot dogs.|
|Top Dog Day||On Independence Day, Americans are expected to enjoy 150 million hot dogs, enough to stretch from D.C. to L.A. more than five times.|
|Top City||Los Angeles residents consume more hot dogs than any other city.|
|Over the Moon for Hotdogs||Hot dogs were one of the first foods eaten on the moon.|
|Take Me Out to the Ballgame||Hot Dogs were first sold at baseball games in 1893.|
When checking Yelp, a popular social media driver for foodies, The Oyster Bar on Reeves Street claims the top ranking.
The family-owned business has been at the same location for over 30 years offering hotdogs, hamburgers, and oysters. Make sure you order a brownie too if they haven’t already been grabbed up for the day.
While you will find some of the best seafood and steaks on 231 South at Hunt’s Restaurant, you also will want to give their chili dogs a try.
It’s a lunchtime favorite with a dozen oysters.
Others You May Not Know About
Pig Out BBQ - The BBQ on 431 North is great at Pig Out. If you are looking for something different, give their chili dogs a try.
Bobs Famous Peanuts - A few miles up the road on 431 North you will find Bobs Famous Peanuts. While they may be famous for their peanuts, their chili dogs are popular too.
Say It Hotdogs - Located in downtown Dothan. Give “The Dothan Dog” a try.
Ernie’s Food Truck - A popular Dothan food truck with a great hotdog.
Let Us Hear From You
This list is open to suggestions and additions. Send us your favorite place to get a hotdog.
Make sure to tell us why. We will add it to the running list. We may even give it a try on our next trip out to lunch.
Pictures will be added to our running slideshow. Send your submission here!
Many viewers are responding on Facebook with their picks for top dogs in the Wiregrass.
- Ann Sellers Phillips and Susan Moore Mccall says “The Farmers Daughter” in Ozark has the best hotdogs.
- Ashley Stuart Murphy and Pat King gives the nod to Mary’s in Ashford.
- Cindy Wilson Bradshaw says The Pinckard Lunchbox has “THE best chili dogs!!!!”
- Daniel Lowry, Marolyn Robbins, Karen Cook Kornegay, and Jessica Welch say Weiner Wagon at the southside Lowe’s is the best. It has “hands down the best hotdogs in the area, says Lowry.” “If you haven’t tried it, you are really missing out.”
- John Purdue believes Hometown Dogs in Daleville has the best chili dog.
- Nicole Seagers McNaughton, Ricky Johnson and Jill A Solomon both like Fred’s BBQ in Headland. “Fred’s in Headland has the best chili I have ever tasted,” says Pam Lipscomb.
- Jennifer Nichole Simmons likes hotdogs from Baker’s Landing in the Abbeville/Eufaula area.
- Branden Phillips says a stop at True Value in Ashford is a must to try their hotdogs.
- Don Webb went with Barrentines in Dothan. Webbs says they are the same recipe as Ed’s once had in Headland.
- Latosha Scott is a fan of J&R Dogs in Enterprise.
- Sherrie Brown Tate heads to Tin Pig in Taylor for her favorite dog.
- Jeremy Mitchell says to give Mary’s Sandwich Shop a try in Midland City.
Copyright 2022 WTVY. All rights reserved.
Subscribe to our News 4 newsletter and receive the latest local news and weather straight to your email every morning. Get instant notifications on top stories from News 4 by downloading our mobile apps.