Advertisement

New Brockton football team under quarantine

First two games of the season cancelled.
(WTVY News 4)
Published: Aug. 14, 2020 at 5:52 PM CDT
Email this link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

DOTHAN, Ala. (WTVY) - The first two games of the season for the New Brockton Gamecocks are now on hold after the entire football team was placed in quarantine due to the Alabama Department of Public Health COVID-19 guidelines.

The Coffee County School System was notified today that a student that has not been on campus for multiple days had tested positive for COVID-19. The school system contacted the ADPH. As a result of their guidance and directives the team was ordered to quarantine based on potential exposure.

The school system, in a release to the media through the Coffee County EMA, says they know of no other students that have tested positive for the virus at this time.

“We appreciate the patience and understanding shown by our students and parents as well as the school administration and staff as we deal with these possible health issues,” said Superintendent Kevin Killingsworth. “Coffee County Schools take this matter seriously and will continue to wrok with our partners to offer the safest learning environment possible for our students and staff.”

This means that New Brockton’s first game of the season next week against Cottonwood has been cancelled. The two teams were scheduled to play in Enterprise at Bates Memorial Stadium due to work being completed at New Brockton.

The Gamecock’s second game of the season at Georgiana has also been cancelled.

New Brockton announced earlier this week that two students had shown symptoms of the virus and were sent home. 30 other students, based on the guidelines by the ADPH, also had to be sent home.

Due to those new guidelines, many school systems are now changing up their plans for restarting this fall. Instead of being in the classroom everyday, schools will instead opt to split the school population in half. Each class while go two days a week while the other half learns from home. The fifth day will be used for cleaning the school campus.

When asked about the new guidelines by the ADPH through email, Governor Kay Ivey’s Press Secretary Gina Maiola issued the following statement:

“The governor’s current Safer at Home order remains in effect until the end of the month, and as we have done throughout the pandemic, we will provide updates as needed to the people of Alabama.

Governor Ivey has been firm in her stance that getting our students and teachers back in the classroom is a must, but we must do so safely and responsibly. Our students will be adversely if we do not work to get them back to in-person learning. Governor Ivey has dedicated hundreds of millions of dollars in CARES Act funds to support safe reentry to school. Each district is unique, and each district is affected differently when it comes to the virus, so, a tailored approach to getting students back in school is the right way. The governor and Dr. Harris will continue monitoring the evolving COVID-19 situation, and she encourages the people of Alabama to continue social distancing, practicing good hygiene and wearing a mask.”

Copyright 2020 WTVY. All rights reserved.

Latest News

Latest News