Request seeking sentence reduction for attorney who stole nearly $10 million apparently withdrawn

Former Dothan attorney Frederick "Mitch" McNab is led from a courtroom after a judge sentenced him to prison for embezzlement. Photo from February, 2015.
By  | 

Dothan (WTVY)-- A hearing scheduled this week to determine whether a former Dothan attorney should be released from prison early will apparently be canceled.

Leslie Worrell, associate counsel for the Alabama Securities Commission, and Houston County District Attorney Pat Jones told WTVY Monday Mitch McNab’s attorneys planned to withdraw a motion they filed earlier this year seeking a sentence reduction.

McNab pleaded guilty in 2015 to stealing about $9 million from clients who entrusted him, in some cases, with their life savings. He was sentenced to five years in prison.

Among McNab’s victims was a paraplegic who lost a $400,000 inheritance left to pay his care costs.

A woman testified that McNab stole about a million dollars that she and her husband earned operating a small business. The couple, she said, was left with only social security income.

Yet another victim told Circuit Judge P.B. McLaughlin that McNab stole about half a million dollars from her, money used provide financial support for her grandson who suffered from cancer.

This isn’t the first time McNab, who was disbarred from practicing law, has attempted to buck the system. A few days after going to prison he was transferred to the Lawrence County Jail in north Alabama at the request of Sheriff Gene Mitchell. No reason was given by Mitchell or the Department of Corrections.

He was returned to Kilby Prison near Montgomery, where he is currently housed after WTVY reported the transfer. Then Governor Robert Bentley intervened after State Representative Paul Lee complained.

Additionally, McNab was later transferred to the Elba Work Release Center but, again, returned to Kilby after only a few days after other complaints were received.

Court records show Houston County District Attorney Pat Jones recently contacted victims, and all oppose early release.

Worrell, who assisted in McNab’s prosecution had also urge McLaughlin to reject the request. “There was repeated testimony by victims that this money was their nest egg for retirement, of which the majority of the victims are at this stage of life, and others describing that their lost funds were intended to help in caring for and paying medical expenses for loved ones diagnosed with cancer,” she wrote.

In their recent motion, his defense attorneys urged McLaughlin to order McNab placed on work release if his sentence wasn’t cut.

An email seeking comment from Montgomery attorney Jim Debardelaben, who represents McNab, wasn’t immediately answered.

(This story was updated at 9:25 p.m. to reflect District Attorney Pat Jones also confirmed motion will be withdrawn.)