Man arrested second time for molesting boy in juvenile custody

Booking photo from Houston County Jail.
By  | 

Dothan (WTVY)-- Almost a year after a Houston County Grand Jury refused to indict an employee of a group home on sex charges another grand jury, hearing evidence months later, chose to indict him.

Shon Christopher Holton, 55, was booked into jail Tuesday on ten counts of Custodial Sexual Abuse after he was indicted in May.

Court records related to his initial arrest in February, 2016 show Holton is accused of repeatedly molesting the boy who was detained in the home. Police allege the crimes occurred from early to mid-2015.

Despite being cleared by a grand jury last year (in November) the charges were brought back but I’m not sure why that would happen,” said attorney Billy Joe Sheffield II.

While Holton was released following the first arrests on $15,000 bond per count, the latest charges each carry $250,000 bond---a total of$2.5 million. “That’s essentially no bond since bonding companies are not allowed to post bail in excess of $150,000 in a single case,” Sheffield observed.

Sheffield said Holton wasn’t aware he had been indicted until a check was run this week by law enforcement during a routine traffic stop. Sheffield said Holton recently applied for a job that required security clearance and was found to have no criminal history. “I’m baffled,” he said.

Holton is accused of molesting the victim while the youngster was in custody of the Department of Youth Services, a state corrections agency for juvenile offenders. The alleged victim’s age wasn’t released though sources say he was a teenager over the legal age of consent.

Houston County District Attorney Pat Jones declined comment since grand jury proceedings are confidential.