Fire leaves Geneva family with only the clothes on their backs

GENEVA, Ala. (WTVY) - Owner Josh Curry says he was on his way to work when he got a phone call that he immediately needed to come back home. When he did, he found his home fully engulfed in flames.

Denise curry was in the middle of folding clothes for her four month old son when her roommate started shouting.

"I heard hollering that the house is on fire and I assumed she was just talking about an itty bitty fire" says Curry.

It was not... When Denise opened her bedroom door the house was up in flames.

She said, "It hit me in the face, whoosh, just like that."

She was home with her baby and two roommates.

She says her roommate Brittany grabbed her son and ran out the back door, by the time she realized what was happening she had to turn around and run out the front.

Officials say the fire started in a wood-burning stove at about 7 o'clock in the morning.
The home was still burning 9 hours later.

"Our bedroom was in the middle of the house, completely, I called it our safe room. Lord I didn’t know that it could’ve have almost been.... The death of us." Said Denise.

Denise says if it weren’t for the puppies squealing, she doesn’t think her son would have made it.
"I’m just thankful it didn’t happen the way that it could of"

Although the home is a total loss...the Curry's are just happy to have each other.

Four puppies inside the home did not survive.

The Curry’s are asking for an RV or mobile home to live in.