During and After Significant Rain Events
- Keep monitoring radio, television, NOAA Weather Radio, and/or the Internet.
- Roads may be closed for your protection. If you come upon a barricade or a flooded road, turn around and go another way!
- Avoid washed out roads. Do not drive into flooded areas.
- Stay on firm ground. Moving water only 6 inches deep can sweep you off your feet. Standing water may be electricity charged from underground or downed power lines.
- Avoid using candles and other open flames indoors in the event of power outage. Use a flashlight to inspect for damage.
- Be especially cautious if using a chainsaw to cut fallen trees.
- Use the telephone to report life-threatening emergencies only.
- Wait until an area is declared safe before entering.
- If you are using an emergency generator, under no circumstances should it be used indoors, including inside a garage, carport, basement, crawlspace, or other enclosed or partially enclosed area, even with ventilation.
More important, be a GOOD neighbor.