Hong Kong, China (CNN) -- Typhoon Conson roared into China Friday near the city of Sanya, along the southern tip of the island of Hainan, around 7:15 p.m. (7:15 a.m. ET).
The storm, which already killed at least 39 people during its westward march across the Philippines earlier in the week, was packing maximum sustained winds of 139 kph (86 mph), according to the Joint Typhoon Warning Center, making it the equivalent of a Category One hurricane.
Southern China already has been battling severe flooding that has killed 135 people, destroyed about 113,000 homes and forced more than 1.2 million people to relocate this month, state media said Friday.
Typhoon roars through Philippines city
According to the Xinhua news agency, Chen Lei of the State Flood Control and Drought Relief Headquarters said the coming rain would exacerbate the flooding.
Video: Conson blasts Philippines Local governments should be prepared for disaster response, the National Marine Environment Forecast Center said.
In China, storms and floods have affected more than 35 million people in 10 provinces this month. By Thursday, the nation had recorded at least 26 billion yuan ($3.8 billion) in economic losses, Xinhua said.
Conson is forecast to move through the Gulf of Tonkin on Saturday, making a final landfall in northern Vietnam, near Hanoi, Saturday afternoon, said CNN meteorologist Brandon Miller.
Conson had weakened from a typhoon into a tropical storm, before its landfall in the Philippines late Tuesday, but that didn't keep the storm from wreaking havoc as it traversed the archipelago off of the Asian mainland. Conson then traveled across the South China Sea.
Along with the rising death toll, the Philippines' National Disaster Coordinating Council said Friday that 84 people were missing.