In this photo released by China's Xinhua News Agency, the Tangjiashan quake lake formed by the landslide following the May 12 earthquake near Beichuan County in southwest China's Sichuan Province is seen on Monday, May 26, 2008. Chinese officials rushed Tuesday to evacuate another 80,000 people in the path of potential floodwaters building up behind a quake-spawned dam as soldiers carved a channel to try to drain away the threat. (AP Photo/Xinhua, Zhu Wei)
BEIJING - A state media report says a massive landslide in northern China partially has buried a village and killed at least 23 people, and that rescuers are seeking survivors.
The official Xinhua News Agency says the landslide occurred Monday in Zhangzishan Township, near Luliang city in northern Shanxi province.
Xinhua said Tuesday that rescuers have recovered 23 bodies from the debris so far, and that two people have been pulled out alive.
Most of those killed were migrant workers who worked at a nearby coal mine.
Xinhua quoted the local Communist Party chief, Nie Chunyu, as saying that most of the victims were from the southwestern Yunnan province.