TUSCALOOSA, Alabama (February 6, 2013) – The Stillman College football program announces its signee class of 2013 as eighteen student athletes signed with the Tigers on National Signing Day 2013.
Stillman head football coach Teddy Keaton and staff spent the early morning hours preparing themselves for the incoming paperwork and signatures that will allow several young men to become Stillman Tigers in the 2013 football season.
"We feel real good about the athletes that we recruited during this period,” said Keaton. “I feel good about the work the staff put in during this our third recruiting season. My hats off to them for their diligence.”
Among the positions the Tigers looked immediately were offensive line and offensive skills positions. On the defensive side of the ball, all areas were looking to be upgraded. While junior college transfers will fill some of the positions, the incoming freshmen will definitely get their opportunity this fall.
““We had some immediate positions we needed to fill and we are confident that we have made good choices. Our task now is the put the young men in position to be successful – both in the classroom and on the football field.”
As of 5:30 pm, eighteen young men had submitted the required paperwork:
1. Treyvian Balcom Dothan, Ala. Northview HS Defensive Line 5-10, 285
2. Rovanta Johnson Lakeland, Fla. Kathleen HS Running Back 5-8, 162
Son of Robert Johnson and Latishia Wilson … As a senior, had 107 carries for 900 yards and ten touchdowns … averaged 8.9 yards per carry … was named player of the week twice as a senior … also was a standout in track.
3. Devin McCaleb Fort Meade, Fla. Fort Meade HS Free Safety 6-0, 170
Son of Dwayne McCalebb and Stephanie McMillian … played football for coach Jemalle Cornelius … team won district championship … received all-district, all-state and all-county honors and played in the FACA All-Star Game … registered 75 tackles, four fumble recoveries, two defensive touchdowns and two interceptions.
4. Devon Denson Lakeland, Fla. Lakeland HS Defensive Tackle / Fullback 5-11, 255
Son of Willie T. and Charlenne Denson … played four years for coach Bill Castle … team was state semifinalist in 2009 and regional semifinalist from 2012 to 2012 … was a FACA and Polk all-county second team selection
5. Cody Martin Monroeville, Ala. Excel HS / Alabama Southern CC Offensive Line 6-3, 275
6. Gregory Abrams Lakeland, Fla. Kathleen HS Cornerback 5-9, 170
Played both football and basketball at Kathleen High
7. Keivontae Turk Tampa, Fla. Jefferson HS Safety 5-11, 195
92 tackles, two sacks and two interceptions as one of the leaders of the Dragons' defense this fall … Was been a four-year contributor at Jefferson and was a sophomore starter during the school's undefeated Class 3A state championship run in 2010
8. Ryan Jackson Grove Hill, Ala. Clarke County HS Linebacker 6-1, 210
Played baseball and football at Clarke County High
9. Airion McRae Grove Hill, Ala. Clarke County HS Running Back / Cornerback 5-9, 170
Performed on both sides of the ball for Clarke County … had touchdown runs of 65 and 74 yards against UMS-Wright.
10. Bradley Heard Oxford, Ala. Munford HS Running Back / Defensive Back 5-9, 180
11. Lonnie Edwards Alexandria, Va. Edison HS Fullback / Linebacker 5-10, 200
12. Marquise Shelton Linden, Ala. Linden HS Running Back / Defensive Back 5-11, 180
Son of Jacqueline Alston … played four years for Andre Williams at Linden High … in 2011 as a junior, 109 carries for 910 yards 13 touchdowns; 29 catches for 526 yards and five touchdowns for the 1A State Championship runner-up (13-2) … opened 2012 campaign as a senior with a 125-yard, three touchdown effort … also averaged 10.1 yards per carry during second round of Alabama 1A state playoffs … named to the all-county team.
13. Wilshonn Jefferson Auburndale, Fla. Auburndale HS Defensive End 5-11, 220
Son of Vivian S. Jefferson … played both football and baseball at Auburndale High … was a starting defensive end for coach Kenneth Grantham … team won 2012 5A district title … a member of the Student Government Association and the Chamber of Commerce Youth Leadership Program, he finished with 91 tackles, 12 sacks, four forced fumbles, two fumble recoveries and a touchdown … was named second-team all-county and all-state honorable mention
14. Terrance Hyde Thomasville, Ala. Thomasville HS Tight End 6-2, 170
Son of Terry and Cheryl Hyde … started two of four years at tight end for coach Jack Hankins … team won 2010 state title with 15-0 record … team went a combined 44-7 during his four years as a Tiger … a four-year letter winner in football and basketball … caught two touchdowns as a senior and one as a junior.
15. Emanuel Cromuel Tampa, Fla. Thomas Jefferson HS/Univ. of South Dakota Defensive Line 6-1, 300
Son of Marchel and Stephanie Crumel … was a four-year letter winner at Thomas Jefferson High … redshirted at South Dakota during the 2011 season.
16. Rodney Harper Demopolis, Ala. Demopolis HS Wide Receiver 6-3, 182
Son of Rodney Harper and Evelyn Robertson … standout in football and track … football team won 2009 5A state championship … 25 catches for 432 yards and six touchdowns
17. Jordan Barrett Memphis, Tenn. Southwind HS Defensive Line 5-10, 270
18. Eric Berry II Memphis, Tenn. Southwind HS Kicker 5-10, 165
These eighteen young men will join the mid-year signees who joined the program. The twelve young men are athletes who Keaton and the Stillman staff feel could become important components of next season's team.
1. Jovontae Thurman Florence, Miss. Florence HS / Jones County (Miss.) CC Running Back 5-9, 170
2. Fabian Simpson Bartow, Fla. Bartow HS / Iowa Wesleyan CC Defensive End 6-2, 220
3. Ryan Preston Linden, Ala. Linden HS / Sequoia (Calif.) College Defensive Line 6-1, 256
4. Kevon Cunningham West Point, Miss. West Point HS / East Mississippi CC Offensive Line 6-5, 325
5. DeAndre Nelson Los Angeles, Calif. Dorsey HS / El Camino College Linebacker 6-0, 210
6. Xavier Hogan West Point, Miss. West Point HS / East Mississippi CC Running Back 5-9, 180
7. JeTyson Myers Petal, Miss. Perry Central HS/ Jones County (Miss.) CC Offensive Line 6-2, 310
8. DeMarcus Nevels Tuscaloosa, Ala. Central HS Cornerback 5-10
9. James Davis Thomasville, Ga. Thomas County HS Running Back 5-8, 170
10. Jonathan Esther Thomasville, Ga. Thomas County HS Linebacker 5-9, 180
11. Cortez DeShazo Pinson, Ala. Clay-Chalkville HS Defensive Line 6-2, 280
12. Reggie Patrick Pinson, Ala. Clay-Chalkville HS Offensive Line 6-2, 285