Bobby Labonte Done for NASCAR Season

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) - Yates Racing is taking Bobby Labonte out of its No. 96 car for seven upcoming races because of sponsorship issues.

The team instead will use Erik Darnell, because it could secure funding for the 26-year-old.

The switch begins this weekend at Atlanta, which is considered Labonte's best track. The former Cup champion has six wins at Atlanta and has usually run near the front.

Yates general manager Max Jones says the team must begin planning for the future, and Darnell might be part of their plans. Stuck in the development program at Roush Fenway Racing, Darnell will make his Cup debut Sunday.

Jones says Labonte is disappointed, but understands business decisions.

(Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)


You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by Paul Location: Battle Creek,Michigan on Sep 3, 2009 at 08:12 AM
    What is our sport doing when a former cup champion can not secure a ride? I stated being a fan of Bobby in 1999.He is one of the gentlemen drivers out there.maybe he should wreck people like kyle busch.
  • by brad lomax Location: pekin,il on Aug 31, 2009 at 03:08 PM
    Money hungry a##holes went 60% of last year with no money now Max Jones throws Booby to the wolves
WTVY-TV 285 N Foster Street Dothan, AL 36303 334-792-3195
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 56360622 - wtvy.com/a?a=56360622
Gray Television, Inc.