1 1/2 cups butter 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3 cups sugar, divided 1 cup buttermilk
4 eggs 1 teaspoon lemon extract
3 1/2 cups cake flour juice of two lemons
1/2 teaspoon salt
* Preheat oven to 325 degrees
* Cream butter and 2 1/2 cups sugar
* In separate bowl, mix flour, salt, and baking soda
* add dry ingredients alternately with buttermilk to creamed mixture. Beat well.
* Add lemon extract
* Bake in greased and floured tube pan for 1 hour and 15 minutes
* Mix remaining 1/2 cup sugar and lemon juice. Heat until sugar dissolves.
* Make holes in warm cake with skewer to allow topping to penetrate cake and pour glaze over cake.