Hunter's Chicken (English)
Poulet Chasseur (French)
Pollo Cacciatore (Italian)
5 Chickens, Disjointed
Salt - to taste
Black Pepper - 1/2 tsp.
Vegetable Oil - 4-6 oz.
Onions - 2 oz.
Garlic cloves - 2 ea.
Mushrooms (variable) 1 lb.
White Wine - 8 oz.
Brandy * - 4 oz.
Tomatoes, diced - 1 qt.
Brown Sauce - 16 oz.
*omit brandy for English version.
Tarragon - 1/4 oz.
Chives - 1/4 oz.
Parsley - 1/4 oz.
Chervil - 1/4 oz.
Basil - 1/4 oz.
Oregano - 1/4 oz.
Garlic (chopped) - 1/4 oz.
Lemon Peel (grated) - 1/4 oz
Anchovy - 1/4 oz.
1. Clean and cut up chickens into pieces of 8, season with salt and
2. Heat oil to 350 degrees and brown the chicken evenly. Remove
the chicken from the pan and keep warm.
3. To prepare the sauce. Remove all but 1/2 cup of the oil from the
saute' pan and add the onions. Saute' until transparent. Add garlic
and mushroom, saute' for approximately 5 minutes. Mix the wine
and brandy together to prevent a flare up of flames when it is added
to the saute' pan. Add the alcohol to the saute' pan. Off the open
flame. Reduce the wine and Brandy by 2/3. Add the tomatoes and
brown sauce, bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
4. Add the chicken back to the pan and simmer for about 30 minutes
or until tender.
5. Add herbs to the last 15 minutes of cooking time and adjust salt
and pepper. Serve with potato or rice.
6. To make Chicken Cacciatore add these two herbs and the gremolata
garnish and serve with a risotto or pasta