- 1 cup real butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp. soda
Cream butter, sugar. Add eggs, one at a time. Mix soda with
buttermilk, add to other mixture.
- 5 cups flour (Use Gold Medal with this cake) Coat well the following with all 5 cups of flour.
- 1 lb. whole dates -chopped
- 1 lb candy orange slices-chopped
- 1 small can Angel Flake Coconut (2 2/3 c.)
- 2 cups pecans course chopped
Pour batter mixture over date/candy mixture. Stir, mixture will be stiff.
Use hands if necessary. Pack into a well greased tube pan. Bake on lowest oven rack at 250 degrees for 3 hours. Check for doneness before 3 hours.
Let cool slightly on rack. Do Not Remove from pan.
Glaze: 1 cup orange juice and 2 cups confectioners sugar.
Poke holes in top of cake with a large fork.
Let this soak in-pour remainder of glaze.
Cool completely. Over-night is best.
Remove and enjoy!