WASHINGTON, D.C. – U.S. Representative Martha Roby reacted to yesterday’s Congressional hearing on the September 11, 2012 attack on a U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya, that killed six Americans, including Ambassador Chris Stephens.
The hearing, called by House Oversight and Government Reform Committee Chairman Darrell Issa (R-CA), featured “whistleblowers” who were serving in Libya at the time of the attack. The witnesses shed new light on the events of that night and the Obama Administration’s labored attempts to explain them. Rep. Roby, who has previously expressed skepticism over the mixed messages from the White House and State Department in the days and weeks after the attack, said the hearing makes clear that many questions remain about this brutal attack and the government’s response to it.
“I applaud the brave individuals who came forward to share their story,” Roby said. “Hopefully, as more attention is brought to this issue, Americans will finally learn what really happened in Benghazi. So far, we haven’t gotten a straight answer about what happened. First, the White House told us to wait for the investigation to finish. Now that more of the truth is emerging, the White House tries to brush off the issue telling us, ‘Benghazi happened a long time ago.’ It’s clear to me that questions still remain about what happened in Benghazi, including why a request for military assistance was reportedly turned town. It is Congress’s responsibility to ask questions and look into situations like this that don’t add up.”
Roby said Congress’s duty is to ensure a true account of the history of this attack is told lest it be repeated.
“We live in a dangerous world, and the threat of an attack like this is always present. When an attack of this magnitude occurs, the government must be upfront about what happened and why. The American people won’t tolerate being lied to, and it’s Congress’ responsibility to ensure the truth is told.”