Ala. Education Assoc. Says Fmr. Gov. Riley Profiting from Accountability Act


The Alabama Education Association says former Governor Bob Riley is profiting from the Alabama Accountability Act.

The AEA says the former governor is profiting from the Alabama Opportunity Scholarship Fund, but Riley says he hasn't received any money in his position as chairman of the organization.

The organization is one of a dozen created under the Alabama Accountability Act. The organizations give scholarships to students to attend private schools.

Those scholarships are funded by donations to the organizations. Donors receive income tax credits that can total up to $25 million a year. Those credits come from public school revenues.

95 percent of donations go to the scholarships, while the organizations can use the remaining 5 percent for overhead and costs. The AEA says that 5 percent is going into Riley's pocket.

You must be logged in to post comments.

Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:
WTVY-TV 285 N Foster Street Dothan, AL 36303 334-792-3195
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 255340281 -
Gray Television, Inc.