TN Girl Denied Access To Prom For Wearing Confederate Flag Dress

A Gibson county Tennessee high school student thought her red, white and blue dress was perfect for her Saturday night senior prom..

The problem, according to school officials... Was that the red, white
and blue made up a confederate flag.

Emily Cassulo has the report on the girl, and the dress, that are causing all of the controversy.

This is the senior prom Texanna Edwards says she'll never forget.
She spent more than 150-dollars on a dress, but never even made it inside!

Texanna: "They looked at me and said, 'You can't go in because your dress is offensive and might start something.'"

Edwards was shocked, claiming she and other students wear clothes with the confederate flag to school all the time, and it's never an issue.

Texanna: "Since my freshman year, we've always worn rebel flag necklaces, shirts..."

And though the confederate flag is not specifically mentioned in the school's dress code policy, it does say that "certain shirts with printed material on them will not be allowed."

Principal James Hughes told us off camera he asked Edwards to change, or leave the prom, for safety reasons, because he didn't want her dress to start a fight.

Texanna says no one who saw her dress thought it was offensive.

Texanna: "Everyone told me that they loved the idea, so I just figured that nobody would say anything."

But Hughes says a teacher warned Texanna a couple of months ago, that her dress was inappropriate.

She and her grandmother believe Texanna's first amendment rights were violated.

Owens: "It's really bad that in this country that we're supposed to be free, that someone cannot go up in red, white and blue and they're turned away from their senior year and their senior prom."

Principal Hughes says prom night was the first time he's seen a student wear any clothing with a confederate flag on it... And that if it happened again, he would do the same thing - ask them to change, or leave the school.

• by Rocky Location: Dothan,Al on Apr 28, 2012 at 12:48 PM
    bigroc20@live.com im a young black man that has has grown up in alabama almost all my life, and i honestly feel that she should have been able to wear her dress to prom. Reading the article i see it on both sides, but you cant honestly say that the principal hasnt seen students in confederate and rebel atire in a TN high school. I'm 26 and from the time i started school till i graduated, black and white wore rebel&confederate clothes. To me its sad to see that someones true freedom of expression was taken away.
      by slim on Apr 28, 2012 at 10:01 PM in reply to Rocky
      the people with the problem with it has got issues its nothing to do with color of the flag this generation of new kids has been so misled about that flag they dont even hav the right too retaliate against it but ignorance
      by VANESSA on Apr 30, 2012 at 02:28 PM in reply to Rocky
      I AGREE WITH ROCKY. WHAT'S THE BIG DEAL. I AM A BLACK WOMEN AND I THINK PEOPLE SHOULD WEAR WHAT IN THE H--- THEY WANT TO .
  • by SouthernPatriot Location: Dothan on Apr 27, 2012 at 08:17 AM
    The young lady should be able to wear whatever she wants as long as it's not indecent. The school officials are trying to be politically correct, but all they are accomplishing is demonstrating what a joke they really are.
  • by WOW Location: Dothan on Apr 27, 2012 at 07:02 AM
    I can't believe people are commenting and supporting something so tacky! I know if this girl would have walked into my prom wearing this dress everyone would have been embarrassed!
      by Amber on Apr 28, 2012 at 07:33 PM in reply to WOW
      Well you probably be the one wearing the dress so low cut your ta-tas would be hanging out or have the dress so short, people would think you forgot to wear a skirt and only wore a blouse. At least the girl wearing the Rebel Flag would have a whole dress.
  • by Get a Life on Apr 26, 2012 at 08:16 AM
    This principal needs to be fired. It is time to stop being Politically Correct, so that you don't step on anyone else's toes. Get over it and get a new principal. One that is honest.
  • by Anonymous on Apr 26, 2012 at 04:25 AM
    People can walk around with pants down to there ankles, there a** hanging out, you can clearly see from 50 ft away what color there under are but you want let a girl inside her PROM with a rebel flag dress on? everyday its seems theres something brought up along the lines of RACISTISM. im not racist by any means, but i do support my confederate flag & not allowing someone in a building because of the flag on there outfit its just a little ridic. I hope there was no guys there in prom with there pants down to there ankles or girls with there body hanging out of there dress.ITS A D*MN SHAME.
  • by Karen Location: Alabama on Apr 25, 2012 at 08:24 AM
    Without set guidelines on this issue, he had no right to deny her entry into the Prom. I support the Rebel Flag, the American Flag and my State Flag, I am offended when someone does not honor it. This principal makes me sick and should be held accountable. I agree with you Suzy, I don't understand why I have to be offended by the way a teenager dresses but I am not allowed to publicly support the Flags that make this Great Country what it is. The Jewish can fly their flag, the Muslims can fly their flag, but the South cannot fly or present the Rebel Flag. So wrong!!!!
  • by Tim Location: Ackerman, MS (CSA) on Apr 25, 2012 at 05:44 AM
    It,s bad when someone wants to wear the Cinfederate Battle Flag and these other un-educated people don't know the history anyway. I bet if she was going to wear a Malcom-X or MLK Jr. shirt then it will be completly fine to do so. They say were still free in this country but were not. You may crush the truth to the ground but the truth is still the truth! Deo Vindice, Tim
  • by Jason Location: Nashville on Apr 24, 2012 at 07:27 PM
    Who edited your video? Is it a joke? A mistake? Did you forget the voiceover? Wow... And regarding the dress, Get over it. Anyone who has ever seen the news will know that there is a possibility of controversy when wearing the Confederate flag. So what if the school didn't want a fight. I think it was a wise decision. Why not try to wear something classy anyway?
  • by Suzy Q Location: Chipley on Apr 24, 2012 at 03:50 PM
    It still is a free Country. We have to put up with so much from other people because of them saying this or that is offensive. Well this is still America and I say sue the school.If people can run around with their pants straddle hanging to their knees showing their underware and blouses so low cut you might as well pull it off. If people can wear clothes that show they are nearly naked. Why not wear a rebel dress ? The Civil War happen, nothing can change that. The prinipal is a idiot.
      by Southern All the Way on Apr 27, 2012 at 12:47 PM in reply to Suzy Q
      I was born in 1960....Everybody has been free since I was born, but only a certain group of people can yell I am offended and people get scared.. I say folks it is time to stand up to these people and tell them we don't care how offended they are, stop letting them run over our rights!!! Bring it on!!
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 148763115 - wtvy.com/a?a=148763115