UPDATE: 11:55 a.m.
WASHINGTON (AP) -- The call came in, and within minutes, U.S. Park Police Sgt. Ken Burchell piloted his helicopter to "what might be described as a hot zone" -- the scene of a mass shooting at the Washington Navy Yard.
Burchell says he was too focused on his rescue mission to worry that he, also, might, be a target for the shooter
He told reporters a day after Monday's incident, "Frankly at that point you're too busy."
As Burchell piloted the helicopter, Sgt. Dave Tolson operated the rescue basket to pick up a woman who had been evacuated to the roof.
Tolson said he attempted to the calm and reassure the woman, who had been shot and lost a significant amount of blood. He says, "I found her to be extremely brave."
UPDATE AT 10:31 a.m. on Tuesday, Sept. 17
WASHINGTON (AP) -- U.S. officials say the former Navy reservist who gunned down 12 people at the Washington Navy Yard had a string of misconduct problems during his nearly three years in the military, but he received an honorable discharge.
The officials say that Aaron Alexis, 34, had bouts of insubordination, disorderly conduct and was sometimes absent from work without authorization. The offenses occurred mainly when he was serving in Fort Worth, Texas, from 2008-2011, and were enough to prompt Navy officials to grant him an early discharge through a special program for enlisted personnel.
Officials said the bad conduct was enough to make it clear Alexis would not be a good sailor, but not enough to warrant a general or less-than-honorable discharge.
UPDATE at 6:30 p.m.
Defense officials say Aaron Alexis, identified as the gunman who opened fire at the Washington Navy Yard, was a full-time Navy reservist from 2007 to 2011 and worked recently as a Defense Department contractor.
He also prayed at a Buddhist temple, was taking online course in aeronautics and was involved in past shooting incidents which attracted police attention in Seattle and Fort Worth, Texas.
It was not immediately clear why Alexis left the reserves, who his latest employer was, or what his motives might have been for going on a rampage. He was one of 13 people killed during Monday's shootings.
Police in Seattle say Alexis was arrested there in 2004 for shooting out the tires of another man's vehicle in what he described to detectives as an anger-fueled "blackout."
UPDATE at 4:30 p.m.
WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Navy says a gunman who opened fire inside a building at the Washington Navy Yard was a full-time reservist from 2007 to 2011.
The Navy said in a release Monday that 34-year-old Aaron Alexis, of Texas, left the Navy on Jan. 31, 2011, as a petty officer 3rd class. It's not immediately clear why he left.
Alexis had been working for the fleet logistics support squadron No. 46, in Fort Worth, Texas. The Navy says his home of record was New York City.
Alexis was one of 13 people killed during the rampage.
UPDATE: 2:57 p.m.
WASHINGTON (AP) -- Federal law enforcement officials say the man accused in a shooting rampage at the Washington Navy Yard that left at least 12 people dead has been identified as Aaron Alexis.
The two officials spoke Monday to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly.
One of those officials says Alexis was a 34-year-old from Texas. He is believed to have a criminal record there and to be a holder of a concealed carry weapon permit.
That official says Alexis is believed to have gotten into the Navy Yard by using someone else's identification card. It is not yet clear if that individual was an accomplice or if that person's ID card was stolen.
UPDATE at 2:26 p.m.
WASHINGTON (AP) -- Police say at least 12 people have died in the shootings at the Washington Navy Yard.
D.C. Police Chief Cathy Lanier said during a news conference Monday that 12 people were confirmed dead.
Lanier says people are being told to stay in their homes and out of the area as authorities search for two other possible suspects. One of the shooters has died.
The police chief says officers are searching for two other people with firearms wearing military-style uniforms.
She says there is no indication of a possible motive at this time.
UPDATE: 11:45 a.m.
WASHINGTON (AP) -- Authorities say they are looking for two additional suspects in the shooting rampage at the Washington Navy Yard.
District of Columbia Police Chief Cathy Lanier says witnesses reported seeing two additional gunmen, both dressed in military-style clothing.
Lanier says one police officer was wounded in an exchange of gunfire with a shooter. She says one shooter has been killed.
Two Navy officials say at least six people were killed in the rampage.
D.C. Mayor Vincent Gray said at a Monday news conference four people were wounded and taken to hospitals.
UPDATE: 11:20 a.m.
WASHINGTON (AP) -- Two Navy officials say at least six people have died in a shooting at the Washington Navy Yard.
The officials spoke on condition of anonymity on Monday because they were not authorized to discuss the situation publicly.
A Defense Department official and a federal law enforcement official have said a shooter had died, though it was not immediately clear how.
Police are also looking into the possibility of a second shooter.
As many as 10 were wounded.
UPDATE 10:45 a.m.
WASHINGTON (AP) -- Officials say at least one shooter has died at the Washington Navy Yard, where several people were killed and as many as 10 were wounded.
A federal law enforcement official and a Defense Department official said Monday morning that a shooter had died. Both spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the ongoing investigation.
Two other officials have said they are looking into the possibility of a second shooter at the Navy Yard.
UPDATE: 10:42 a.m.
WASHINGTON (AP) -- Federal law enforcement official: Shooter at Washington Navy Yard has died.
WASHINGTON (AP) -- A Defense Department official says several people have been killed and as many as 10 have been wounded in a shooting at the Washington Navy Yard.
The official spoke on condition of anonymity Monday because the official was not authorized to discuss the matter publicly.
The official also says the shooter is "contained" but not yet in custody.
Earlier in the day, the U.S. Navy said it was searching for an active shooter at the Naval Sea Systems Command headquarters, where about 3,000 people work.
The exact number of people killed and the conditions of those wounded was not immediately known.