A 10-year-old California boy is being called a hero and he has a new medal to prove it.
Salem Palmer received the Mayor's Medal of Appreciation award for helping save the life of a fellow student who was choking on a piece of pizza during lunch.
"I was in the cafeteria and a kid was eating it while he was coming to throw his food away, then he was choking on it, so I went over and did the Heimlich."
Palmer said he's always wanted to be a paramedic and learned the life-saving technique during C-P-R training.
This isn't the first time he has come to the rescue.
Palmer was also recognized this summer by the fire department for helping save his neighbors home from a fire.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.