Free Pizza For Ordering In Spanish

What if you could get a free pizza just for ordering...in Spanish?

Turns out you can.

A Dallas-based pizza chain with over 100 locations nationwide is offering just that... in a promotion it's calling "Pizza Por Favor.”

The company says the deal is aimed at honoring the positive force of change immigrants have made in America.

Carol Cavazos has the story.

Where there's a pizza patron, there's a largely Hispanic community...

The main ingredient in the company's latest marketing campaign.

Por favor.

On June 5th - for three hours - anyone who walks in and asks for a pizza in Spanish

You just have to order in Spanish.

Gets a large pepperoni free.

They can say quiero pizza. Pizza por favor. Dame una pizza.

Reminiscent of pizza patron's pesos for pizza - a 2007 marketing campaign - which proved too hot for some.

I don't agree with the campaign. You should go back to your country. Literally death threats. I hope you die. Yes, we were very surprised. But fortunately nothing happened.

30 to 40 percent of pizza patron customers speak little Spanish.

Poquito.

Pizza patron hopes to teach them.

I think it's cool. I need to learn.

The company has *two* restaurants in farmers branch, where a resolution passed making English the official language for city businesses - not for businesses in the city.

We're talking about two different things. We're talking about pizza, and then we're talking about official language.

Though we spoke to a couple who didn't like the Spanish-speaking campaign but wouldn't go on camera... John and Ruth Fuls support the English resolution and the Spanish-speaking marketing campaign.

Pizza por favor.

Por favor.

Some of the franchises plan to have security in place for anything that could happen - mostly for the long lines they say they're expecting.

• by Anonymous on May 26, 2012 at 06:53 AM
    When we brought the vietnamese over here, we encourged them to speak English.What they should have done was to encourged us to learn their language. Now some of the vietnamese language is lost to their children, only English is spoken. I agree with Robert, it helps a great deal to be able to speak with several different tongues.
      by Jalissa Ellis on May 26, 2012 at 02:31 PM in reply to
      It's amazing to find out these things.
  • by Dave Location: MArianna on May 25, 2012 at 06:53 AM
    I thought this was America. In America we speak English! Why should I have to press 1 for English?
  • by Robert Location: California on May 23, 2012 at 06:19 PM
    I don't see any problem with the pizza por favor campain. I lived in Latin America for two years and people there were eager to learn English, in fact Clubs, Bars, Schools and even radio stations played English music all the time. I think we are too narrow minded and unwilling to learn other languages, just look at Europe!... Speaking two or more language is just beneficial to society specially here in the U.S. where Spanish is spoken by almost 1/4 of the population.
      by Jalissa Ellis on May 23, 2012 at 09:16 PM in reply to Robert
      Living in other places can open your mind to new things. Thanks Robert for sharing your facts.
      by JT on May 30, 2012 at 08:09 AM in reply to Robert
      I think it is a shame that we are still so narrow minded in 2012! Last I checked our country was called United States of America... not English. I think this campaign is fun and a great way to bring cultures together. Besides this campaign costs them more money than what they make. Its a promotion. Its a shame that people have to take things like this and make them ugly. If we spent more time understanding than hating the world would be a better place.
        by Jalissa Ellis on May 30, 2012 at 03:17 PM in reply to JT
        Well said JT!
  • by sara Location: enterprise on May 23, 2012 at 03:19 PM
    I think it is fine to do promotions. However, if you are going to be an American then learn to speak English. I can guarantee you that if we went to their country they would not be learning our language to accommodate us. As a matter of fact the children that have had to go back to Mexico due to these new laws are having to go to the schools there and have never learned Spanish and they are not even getting help in learning the language.
      by Jalissa Ellis on May 23, 2012 at 03:55 PM in reply to sara
      Very interesting. Thanks for your information.
      by I. Arlyin on May 26, 2012 at 07:04 AM in reply to sara
      When you are in another country for a while, you learn the language even if you don't even try. The Mexican parents are to blame if their children don't know Spanish.Never get to comfortable in any situation, things change.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 153267955 - wtvy.com/a?a=153267955