FILE - In a June 23, 2010 file photo, crews work to clean up oil from the Deepwater Horizon oil spill washed ashore at Pensacola Beach in Pensacola Fla. In a reversal, the Obama administration says it will not pursue offshore drilling in East Coast waters, including the eastern Gulf of Mexico. A senior administration official told The Associated Press on Wednesday, Dec. 1,, 2010 that because of the BP oil spill, the Interior Department will not propose any new oil drilling in the East Coast for at least the next seven years. (AP Photo/ Michael Spooneybarger, File)
OCEAN SPRINGS, Miss. (AP) - The administrator of the $20 billion BP PLC fund doling out money to Gulf oil spill victims says the program will be offering claimants an additional payment.
The Gulf Coast Claims Facility, which took over the process from BP this summer, would not provide further details Friday.
It planned an announcement on Monday.
The facility says the program has so far paid out about $2.4 billion to 163,632 individuals and businesses.
It is being run by Washington attorney Kenneth Feinberg, who previously oversaw claims to Sept. 11 victims and their families.
The fund has been doling out money to people who have been able to prove losses from BP's April 20 oil well blowout, but many are complaining they are being shortchanged and the payments are coming too slowly.
(Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)