NEWARK, N.J. (AP) - Two men have been charged with the murders of five teenage boys in New Jersey who disappeared more than 30 years ago.
The Essex County prosecutor's office says the men were arrested Monday night and also charged with arson. Their names haven't been released.
The boys, who were all 16 or 17, had last been seen on a busy Newark street on Aug. 20, 1978. Police have said they were with a local carpenter who routinely hired teens to help him with odd jobs. He had been repeatedly interviewed, passed a polygraph examination, and was cleared as a suspect months after the disappearances.
The prosecutor's office did not immediately say how the case was solved.
Helen Simmons is the aunt of one of the boys. She calls the arrests "a bittersweet victory" and says that "finally someone will be accountable."
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.