SANTA ANA, Calif. (AP) - A Southern California jury has
determined that Botox-maker Allergan was not responsible for the
death of a 7-year-old girl with cerebral palsy who died after
receiving Botox injections.
Kristen Spears, of Amarillo, Texas, died in November 2007 of
respiratory failure and pneumonia. Her mother, Dee, sued Allergan
Inc., for $60 million, alleging an overdose weakened muscles that
controlled her daughter's breathing.
The Orange County jury decided by a 10-2 vote Tuesday that
Kristen's fatal pneumonia and respiratory failure were not caused
Juror David Reyes said he concluded that Botox couldn't be
singled out as a substantial reason for the girl's death.
Allergan issued a statement saying that the jury's conclusion
supports the evidence that Botox played no role in Kristen's death.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.