Chicago Symphony Director Withdraws, Cites Illness

By: AP
By: AP

Orchestra officials said Sunday that the Italian conductor is suffering from "extreme gastric distress" and must fly back to Milan to consult with doctors.

Muti missed Saturday's annual Symphony Ball, and the orchestra performed the sold-out show without a fill-in conductor.

The 69-year-old Muti was scheduled to conduct fall concerts, return for a winter series in February and then conduct two spring sequences.

A spokeswoman says the orchestra hopes Muti can return for the rest of his residency.

Muti first conducted the orchestra more than three decades ago, and his return to Chicago had been highly anticipated.

(Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WTVY-TV 285 N Foster Street Dothan, AL 36303 334-792-3195
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 104250818 - wtvy.com/a?a=104250818