Bright supported legislation to create additional stop loss pay for soldiers

WASHINGTON, DC – Congressman Bobby Bright announced that beginning this week special payments are available to over 185,000 service members who have had their enlistments involuntarily extended since September 11, 2001.

The payments will provide $500 for every month they were held under stop-loss orders. The additional payments were established in the 2009 War Supplemental Appropriations Act, supported by Congressman Bright.

“Soldiers who served under Stop Loss deserve to be more than adequately compensated for their extended service,” Bright said.

“Stop Loss has affected many of our service members and this additional pay is the least we can do to show our gratitude for their sacrifices. I was proud to support this provision as a part of the war supplemental passed earlier this year because nothing is more important than making sure we are doing right by our troops.”

The Retroactive Stop Loss Special Pay is available to service members who had their enlistment extended or retirement suspended due to Stop Loss between Sept. 11, 2001 and Sept. 30, 2009 (the end of the fiscal year). Service members from every branch of the military will receive compensation.

Service members may begin submitting their claim for Retroactive Stop Loss Special Pay beginning yesterday.

All applications must be submitted to the respective services no later than Oct. 21, 2010. Service members must provide documented proof they were held under Stop Loss with their claim. Family members of deceased service members should contact the appropriate military service for assistance in filing their claim.

Contact information for each branch is listed below:


Navy: send email to –

Marine Corps:

Air Force:

You must be logged in to post comments.

Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by SibNuts Location: Temple, TX on Oct 28, 2009 at 01:08 PM
    You might have to contact someone from the USCG Headquarters. Main phone numbers: (202)267-2320 Mailing address: 2100 2nd St. SW Wasington, DC 20593-0001
  • by Robin Location: Seattle on Oct 28, 2009 at 05:37 AM
    I see every branch of the service int his article except the United States Coast Guard. My husband was Coast Guard Reserves and had his retirement orders and discharge certificate in hand when 9/11 occurred. They were pulled back and he was put on active duty for 12 months and then reserves for an additional 24 months, finally retiring in 2004. Where are the Coast Guard member supposed to file their claims?
WTVY-TV 285 N Foster Street Dothan, AL 36303 334-792-3195
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 65985907 -
Gray Television, Inc.