FILE This Thursday, Sept. 13, 2012 file photo shows Syrian children, who fled their homes due to government shelling, looking on, as they take refuge with their families at Bab Al-Salameh crossing border, hoping to cross to one of the refugee camps in Turkey, near the Syrian town of Azaz. As many as 9,000 Syrians crossed into Turkey overnight to flee the violence in their country, a United Nations official said Friday Nov. 9, 2012 citing officials in Turkey where footage showed refugees climbing through the barbed-wire fence separating the two countries. (AP Photo/Muhammed Muheisen)
BEIRUT (AP) -- Suicide car bombs have ripped through a Syrian government base in the southern city of Daraa.
The state-run news agency reports a triple car bombing, saying it killed seven civilians and wounded several others.
Activists say the blasts killed at least 20 soldiers. The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, which relies on a network of activists on the ground, says two suicide bombers drove the explosives-packed cars into a military encampment behind the officer's club in quick succession.
Daraa was the birthplace of the uprising against Assad, which erupted in March 2011.
No one has claimed responsibility for the attack, but an al-Qaida-inspired extremist group that has been fighting alongside rebels has said it was responsible for similar bombings in the past.
In other violence, Syrian TV says a locally made rocket slammed into a four-story residential building in the capital of Damascus, wounding two young women.
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AP) -- A prominent press freedom group has joined the U.S. State Department to demand Iran conduct a full investigation into the reported death of a jailed blogger.
Iranian opposition websites this week claimed that Sattar Beheshti died from severe abuses after his arrest last month.
Iranian officials have made no comment, but the reports brought calls for a full-scale Iranian probe Friday from State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland.
The New York-based Committee to Protect Journalists said Saturday that Iranian authorities must release full details of the "suspicious death" of the 35-year-old blogger, whose posts were highly critical of the Iranian leadership.
Dozens of bloggers and journalists have been arrested amid widespread crackdowns in Iran in recent years.
UNITED NATIONS (AP) -- The chief prosecutor of the International Criminal Court says she is collecting evidence for possible new war crimes charges against supporters and opponents of Moammar Gadhafi during last year's Libyan civil war.
Fatou Bensouda said she expects to decide soon on "the direction" of a possible new case that could see the first charges stemming from the Libyan conflict since the ICC issued arrest warrants for Gadhafi, his son Seif al-Islam Gadhafi, and intelligence chief Abdullah al-Senoussi in May 2011.
Bensouda said she expects the tribunal's judges to decide "as soon as possible" whether Seif al-Islam should be prosecuted by the ICC or in Libya as the government is demanding.
In a recent wide-ranging interview, Bensouda also discussed the importance of capturing African warlord Joseph Kony.
PARIS (AP) -- Hundreds of French nationalists have demonstrated in Paris against Islamist extremism, chanting the French anthem and saying the religion has no place in the country.
Protester Romain Cyiril says, "France was always a welcoming country, but for the first time we have to deal with a religion which can't and doesn't want to integrate itself."
Three weeks ago, dozens of far-right French activists stormed an unfinished mosque to protest immigration policies that have made France home to Western Europe's largest population of Muslims. There are an estimated 5 million or more Muslims in this nation of 65 million, although under French law the government does not track religion.
The French government has denounced anti-Islam extremists.
Saturday's protest was organized by a nationalist group called the Republican Resistance.
AUCKLAND, New Zealand (AP) -- Prince Charles and his wife, Camilla, have visited an Auckland war museum and greeted indigenous Maori at the start of their tour of New Zealand.
The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall landed in Auckland on Saturday night and toured the city Sunday. The couple are visiting for six days on the last leg of their Pacific tour marking Queen Elizabeth II's 60th Jubilee.
Hundreds of people gathered at the Auckland War Memorial Museum to watch Charles lay a wreath to commemorate Armistice Day, which marks the 1918 end of World War I.
Charles said "Kia ora," a traditional Maori greeting. Camilla's brimmed hat made it a little difficult for her to complete a "hongi," another traditional greeting in which two people press noses, but she managed.
Israel, Militants Exchange Missile Fire
GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip (AP) -- Palestinians say a Gaza man has been killed in an overnight Israeli airstrike.
Palestinian health official Ashraf al-Kidra says the man's body was discovered early Sunday.
It was not immediately clear whether he was a civilian or militant.
His death brings to six the number of Palestinians killed in Israeli strikes since Palestinian militants fired an anti-tank missile at an Israeli jeep patrolling the border with Gaza on Saturday.
Overnight, the Israeli military said, its aircraft struck a weapons manufacturing facility, three weapon storage facilities and two rocket launching sites.
Some three dozen rockets and mortar rounds have hit Israeli since late Saturday, causing no injuries or serious damage.
China says 18-year-old Tibetan self-immolates
BEIJING (AP) -- Chinese state media say an 18-year-old Tibetan villager has died after setting himself on fire in northwest China.
The short report from the Xinhua News Agency doesn't mention why the man self-immolated Saturday afternoon.
Dozens of ethnic Tibetans have set themselves on fire in heavily Tibetan regions over more than a year and a half to protest Chinese rule.
Overseas groups who report on most of the protests say at least five ethnic Tibetans set themselves on fire this past week ahead of, or during, a key Community Party gathering to decide China's leadership for the coming decade. Three were reported to have died.
Citing provincial government sources, Xinhua says Saturday's self-immolation occurred in front of a monastery in the city of Hezuo in the Tibetan autonomous prefecture of Gannan.
Algerian official warns against Mali intervention
ALGIERS, Algeria (AP) -- An international military intervention into Mali at this time would be useless, a top advisor to Algeria's president said Saturday.
The remarks by Kamal Rezzag Bara, terrorism and security advisor to President Abdelaziz Bouteflika, underline Algeria's deep-seated unease with international plans to invade northern Mali.
There have been several international efforts to persuade Algeria, which is the strongest military power bordering Mali, to support the intervention, which would be spearheaded by West African nations with French support.
Bara said internationalizing the crisis would only "aggravate the situation" and he that Mali itself should be helped to come up with a roadmap and agreement involving all the actors to resolve the crisis.
"The question in Mali is an internal matter and there is no need to further internationalize it," he said.
His remarks, however, come as the West African regional bloc ECOWAS moves forward with plans to invade.
On Thursday, Djibril Bassole, foreign minister of Burkina Faso, said military intervention is inevitable after a plan to invade has been drafted.
Bara maintained that the international community has to distinguish between groups in north Mali with political demands ready to negotiate and terrorist groups. Ansar Dine, one of the main group's controlling northern Mali, denounced extremism last week and said it was ready to negotiate. Other groups in the area include the North African branch of al-Qaida and a splinter group that are believed to be mostly made up of foreign fighters.
Wave of violence sweeps Brazil's biggest city
SAO PAULO (AP) -- Sao Paulo's Public Safety Department says that at least 140 people have been slain in South America's biggest city over the past two weeks in a rising wave of violence.
Killings sharply increased in September, a month in which 144 people were killed.
A Public Safety Department official says the killings have been ordered by imprisoned leaders of an organized crime group called the First Capital Command in reprisal against crackdowns on the drug trade. He spoke on condition of anonymity Saturday because he was not authorized to speak to the press.
The department's website says 982 homicides took place in Sao Paulo between through the first nine months of the year. The victims included 90 police officers, most of them gunned down while off duty.