Turkey Lifts YouTube Ban after More than 2 Years

ISTANBUL (AP) - A news report says Turkey is lifting a ban on YouTube more than two years after it blocked access because of
videos deemed insulting to the country's founder.

Transport Minister Binali Yildirim is quoted as saying the government has been in touch with Google, which owns YouTube. He says there are no longer reasons to ban the video-sharing site because the offending videos had been removed.

NTV television quoted Yildirim as saying Saturday that the ban has been removed.

Turkey's telecommunications authority banned access to YouTube in May 2008 after users complained some videos insulted Mustafa Kemal Ataturk, who founded the country in 1923. It is a crime in Turkey to insult Ataturk.

(Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)


You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:
WTVY-TV 285 N Foster Street Dothan, AL 36303 334-792-3195
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 106388063 - wtvy.com/a?a=106388063
Gray Television, Inc.