MONTGOMERY— Grants totaling $39.3 million awarded by Gov. Robert Bentley will assist low-income families in Alabama with home energy bills.
The grants will enable 22 community action agencies throughout the state to provide temporary assistance with electric and gas bills. Priority for assistance is given to the elderly, people with disabilities and families with young children.
“Paying for high home heating bills during the winter can be a significant challenge for low-income families or elderly residents living on extremely limited budgets,” Bentley said. “This funding is intended to assist those with the greatest need.”
Residents seeking assistance must apply through their local community action agencies. Eligibility is based on income, family size and available resources. If applications are approved, payments are made directly to the utility companies on behalf of residents.
The Alabama Department of Economic and Community Affairs is administering the grants as part of the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program. The funding was made available to the state by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
The community action agencies, counties served and grant amounts are listed below.
• Community Action Partnership of Huntsville/Madison and Limestone Counties Inc. (Madison and Limestone) - $2,358,610. Phone: 256-851-9800
• Community Service Programs of West Alabama Inc. (Bibb, Choctaw, Fayette, Greene, Lamar, Tuscaloosa, Sumter) - $3,331,190. Phone: 205-752-5429
• Walker County Community Action Agency Inc. (Walker) - $641,320. Phone: 205-221-4010
• Pickens County Community Action Committee and Community Development Corp. Inc. (Pickens) - $292,648. Phone: 205-367-8166
• Organized Community Action Program Inc. (Bullock, Butler, Covington, Crenshaw, Dale, Lowndes, Pike) - $2,331,889. Phone: 334-566-1712
• Community Action Agency of Northwest Alabama Inc. (Colbert, Franklin, Lauderdale) - $1,149,014. Phone: 256-766-4330
• Community Action Agency of Northeast Alabama Inc. (Blount, Cherokee, DeKalb, Jackson, Marshall, St. Clair) - $3,104,685. Phone: 256-638-4430
• Community Action Partnership of North Alabama Inc. (Cullman, Lawrence, Morgan) - $1,799,536. Phone: 256-355-7843
• Montgomery Community Action Agency (Montgomery) - $2,128,337. Phone: 334-263-3474
• Mobile Community Action Inc. (Mobile, Washington) - $3,911,329. Phone: 251-457-5700
• Marion-Winston Counties Community Action Committee Inc. (Marion, Winston) - $588,062. Phone: 205-921-4224
• Macon-Russell Community Action Agency Inc. (Macon, Russell) - $858,631. Phone: 334-727-6100
• Jefferson County Committee for Economic Opportunity (Jefferson) - $4,192,094. Phone: 205-327-7500
• Human Resource Development Corp. (Barbour, Coffee, Geneva, Henry, Houston) - $1,900,283. Phone: 334-347-0881
• Hale Empowerment and Revitalization Organization Inc. (Hale) - $361,343. Phone: 334-624-0842
• Community Action of Etowah County Inc. (Etowah) - $894,701. Phone: 256-546-9271
• Elmore/Autauga Community Action Committee Inc. (Autauga, Dallas, Elmore, Perry) - $1,746,532. Phone: 334-567-4361
• Eleventh Area of Alabama Opportunity Action Committee Inc. (Chilton, Shelby) - $968,856. Phone: 205-755-1204
• Community Action Committee Inc. of Chambers-Tallapoosa-Coosa (Chambers, Tallapoosa, Coosa) - $863,929. Phone: 256-825-4287
• Community Action Agency of South Alabama (Baldwin, Clarke, Conecuh, Escambia, Marengo, Monroe, Wilcox) - $2,730,940. Phone: 251-626-2646
• Alabama Council on Human Relations Inc. (Lee) - $1,337,444. Phone: 334-821-8336
• Community Action Agency of Talladega, Clay, Randolph, Calhoun, and Cleburne Counties (Calhoun, Clay, Cleburne, Randolph, Talladega) - $1,864,982. Phone: 256-362-6611
Full contact information for each agency can be found at www.caaalabama.org/agency-list.php