Fire Kills Man at Assisted Living Home

Authorities say a 65-year-old man is dead after fire spread through an assisted living home in eastern Georgia.

Insurance and Fire Commissioner Ralph Hudgens says the blaze started at about 4:30 a.m. Saturday at the Twin Oaks Assisted Living Home in Waynesboro.

One man inside the home, Charles Atkins, was killed.

Investigators say the home was destroyed but six other people inside escaped the flames without injury.

The cause hasn't been determined.

But Hudgens' office says investigators are looking at the possibility that the fire was ignited by a cigarette that wasn't extinguished properly.


WTVY-TV 285 N Foster Street Dothan, AL 36303 334-792-3195
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 188501611 - wtvy.com/a?a=188501611
Gray Television, Inc.