WTVY  | Dothan, AL  | News, Weather, Sports

Disney Working on Standalone 'Star Wars' films

By: The Associated Press
By: The Associated Press

Disney is mining The Force for even more new films.

Walt Disney Co. CEO Bob Iger says screenwriters Larry Kasdan and Simon Kinberg are working on standalone "Star Wars" movies that aren't part of the planned new trilogy.

Iger told CNBC on Tuesday that the standalone movies will be based on "great `Star Wars' characters that are not part of the overall saga." The films would be released during the six-year period of the new trilogy, starting in 2015 with "Star Wars: Episode VII."

Disney confirmed last month that "Star Trek" director J.J. Abrams will direct the seventh installment of the "Star Wars" saga.

Disney bought "Star Wars" maker Lucasfilm last year for more than $4 billion.
The "Star Wars" prequel trilogy was released from 1999 to 2005.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WTVY-TV 285 N Foster Street Dothan, AL 36303 334-792-3195
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 189960001 - wtvy.com/a?a=189960001