Apartment Fire Leaves Dothan Family Homeless

By: Erika Kurre
By: Erika Kurre

A Dothan mother and her two young children are homeless, after their apartment burned in an early morning fire on Monday. Now, they need your help to get back on their feet again.

Lilly Ashley was at work, with her two young children at home when she got a phone call, telling her that her apartment was on fire.

"I really just ran, came on home and by the time I got here, the fire department was here and no one could go in the apartment so everything was; the whole upstairs is gone," she said.

Dothan Fire Department officials say the blaze began when Lilly’s 6-year-old daughter was playing with a cigarette lighter in her bedroom.

The fire started around 9:00AM Monday morning and was quickly put out, but not before everything inside was ruined.

The family's bedding, clothing and other household items that were kept upstairs are considered a total loss.

The entire first level of the apartment was also damaged by water.

One thing Lilly still has, though, are the lives of her two children, who were saved by their next door neighbor, Dennis Corbitt.

Corbitt says, "I just smelled smoke and went into the house and it was pitch black. You know, it just happened so fast, immediately."

Lilly says, "I just thank God that they're alright and that everything was put out and the kids weren't in there."

Lilly and her children are now being cared for with the help of friends, family, the Red Cross and other area organizations.

If you would like to help, there are two ways to donate.

Send food, clothing or household items to Lilly Ashley in care of "Concerned Moms on the Move" at 857 Chickasaw Street in Dothan, 36303.

You can also donate money at any Wachovia Bank in Lilly Ashley’s name, through the Ordinary People's Society.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WTVY-TV 285 N Foster Street Dothan, AL 36303 334-792-3195
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 8537512 - wtvy.com/a?a=8537512