A headland family's home has been destroyed. The fire happened Thursday evening, and although the volunteer fire department responded in 15 minutes, the home was already engulfed in flames.
The family is fine, no one had to be taken to the hospital, and while the family is now homeless they say they are walking away from this fire with the most precious gift of all.
Homeowner Patricia McAdams said, "God gives us life and life is valuable and as far as things are concerned we shouldn't covet them, I do cover life though."
Patricia and her family came close to losing that life Thursday evening. Patricia was cooking dinner when her daughter called her out of the house to check on the animals.
Patricia said, "I flipped the switch on the stove and I thought it was off but it wasn't."
Within minutes their home was engulfed in flames and while the family was outside, their pets were still inside the burning home.
Patricia said, "I heard the fire alarms and the kittens were in the door, so I opened it and they rushed out, and I shut it to keep it from going to the ground."
Patricia was taking prescription medicine and decided to take only half a dose Thursday so she could be alert while cooking dinner. Her daughter says she believes if her mom had taken the full dose the situation could have been much worse.
Patricia's daughter, Alex McAdams, said, "It's a good thing. We probably wouldn't have gotten out of here with smoke and carbon dioxide."
The kitchen was a total loss, and the rest of the home is severely smoke damaged.
The family does have insurance. In fact, the adjuster is coming tomorrow, but they don't believe insurance will cover the entire loss of their home plus the contents. They did want to thank the Red Cross for responding so quickly and helping with their immediate needs.
If you would like to help the McAdams family, they're accepting donations at any Five Star Credit Union, under Patricia McAdams' name.