WTVY  | Dothan, AL  | News, Weather, Sports

Medical Examiner says Anna Nicole Smith Died of Accidental Overdose

DANIA BEACH, Fla. (AP) - A medical examiner says Anna Nicole Smith died of an accidental overdose of a sleeping medication and other drugs after she was found unresponsive at a hotel.

Broward County Medical Examiner Joshua Perper says the former Playboy Playmate died of "combined drug intoxication" with the sleeping medication chloral hydrate as the major factor.

Chloral hydrate is a sedative used to treat insomnia and alcohol withdrawal, relieve anxiety and ease post-surgery pain.

Perper said Smith had been on several antidepressant and antianxiety drugs prior to her death.

Smith was found unresponsive at a suite at Seminole Hard Rock Hotel and Casino in Hollywood on February 8th.

Seminole Tribe Police Chief Tiger says detectives thoroughly investigated the death and found no evidence of illegal drugs or foul play.

Perper says the detailed autopsy showed no evidence of disease.

(Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WTVY-TV 285 N Foster Street Dothan, AL 36303 334-792-3195
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 6704967