Enterprise Fire Send Woman to the Hospital

By: Alex Zequeira Email
By: Alex Zequeira Email

A Wiregrass woman is at the Burn Center in Birmingham, after being rescued from a house fire early Wednesday morning. Although she did not sustain any burns, fire officials say she is suffering from severe smoke inhalation.

The fire happened at a home on the corner of Ouida Street and Pruitt Street in Enterprise. The blaze even frightened a neighbor.

"I came to the door to talk to my grandchildren and tell them bye for school, and one of them hollered saying there's smoke coming out of that house. And so I ran out and saw the smoke and called 911," said Mary Brookes, who lives across the street.

Fire officials say the blaze started inside the living room and spread throughout the home. Inside was 78 year-old Voncile Wilkinson, the mother of Sherman Wilkinson, a 19-year veteran of the Enterprise Fire Department.

Chief Byron Herring of the Enterprise Fire Department says, "They made entry into the house and found Ms. Voncile Wilkinson in the back bedroom lying across the bed. She was unresponsive and they brought her out front. When they got her outside they started treating her for extremely difficulty breathing."

Ms. Wilkinson was immediately taken to the Enterprise Medical center where her condition did improve, but as a precaution she was sent to the burn center in Birmingham where fire officials say she is already feeling better.

There is still no word as to what other injuries, if any, Mrs. Wilkinson received, although she is expected to make a full recovery.

The American Red Cross has stepped in to help the family with its immediate needs.


WTVY-TV 285 N Foster Street Dothan, AL 36303 334-792-3195
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 5152817 - wtvy.com/a?a=5152817