Ashford Family ‘Lost Everything’ in Tuesday’s Fire

By: Rayne McKenzie
By: Rayne McKenzie

Ashford and Cowarts Volunteer Fire Departments were busy trying to extinguish a large house fire Tuesday afternoon.

The fire started around 4PM Tuesday, but then returned at 11PM that evening, destroying everything.

The home in Ashford has been deemed a total loss because of the fire. The family of six is trying to recover, but is looking to the community to help them pull through.

"For the first time, I didn't know where my kids were going to sleep and it’s disheartening," said Raymond Poole.

Raymond is the father of four and just before going to pick hid children up from school he noticed his kitchen on fire.

He took quick action to try to save his home. "He got the kitten, put it in the truck and said the kitchen was on fire and he was going to try to put it out," Kathy Poole said. "When Raymond rushed into the kitchen with the fire extinguisher he immediately started spraying the stove that was engulfed in flames, but after just a few minutes the smoke was too much and he knew his house was gone."

"I felt hopeless you know, you just want anyone to help because you know it is gone," Raymond added.

While Raymond was fighting the flames, his children had concerns of their own.

"I know my mom was on the phone, but I was scared because I thought my Dad was hurt," Brittany Poole said.

Audrey Poole said, "I was riding the bus and I seen it and my Dad had black all over him and I was afraid he was hurt. It's just a scary feeling knowing everything you've ever had is just gone."

The Poole's lost everything in the fire, but say the experience has brought them closer together as a family and family is what they are counting on to make it through this tragedy.

The Poole’s four children are all in school and need clothing, but more importantly, they need shoes.

If you would like to donate gift certificates to nearby clothing stores or shoe shops you can drop them off at Avon Auto World on Highway 84 East, just outside of the circle past the medical center.

The Poole’s are staying at a hotel right now and don't have a lot of room to store donations. However, if you would like to donate money you can deposit it at any Wachovia Bank in the name of Kathy Poole.


WTVY-TV 285 N Foster Street Dothan, AL 36303 334-792-3195
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 5150177 - wtvy.com/a?a=5150177