For many the holiday season has already begun, but for one Taylor family, toys will not be the first on the list, as they lost nearly everything they owned in a fire Wednesday morning.
Fire officials say what started as a small kitchen fire in Taylor , quickly spread throughout the home. But fortunately there were no injuries.
It took firefighters about an hour to contain the blaze from a Taylor home. Some of the Morris family was inside the house when they said the kitchen's stove caught fire. When they noticed the fire, they said they immediately ran out of the house to call for help.
"I was at work when my wife called me and told me the house was on fire. You're always bothered by a loss like this, but I thank the Lord my family got out and they were safe. It's all for a reason," says owner Doug Morris.
The family said the fire spread too quickly to put out the flames. They said they were cooking on the stovetop, walked away for just a few seconds, heard a loud pop, and then the kitchen burst into flames.
"They called it out as a single 101 structure, kitchen involved. We got on the scene, and half the house was fully involved. It took us a while to get it under control." says Chief Wayne Peterman, Taylor Volunteer Fire Department.
There were six people living in the home that are now in need of assistance such as clothing. Some of the neighbors and a church family have already said they would contribute time, money and clothing to get the Morris family back on their feet.
The family did have insurance on the home, but that won't replace everything that was destroyed inside. The father. Doug Morris, said the thing he misses will be family pictures of his parents.
If you would like to make a donation to the family, you can drop it off at Central Baptist Church located on Honeysuckle Road. Donations can include clothing, money or any household item.