Wiregrass Choppers is a motorcycle shop on the surface, but Tuesday afternoon authorities dug a little deeper and found quite the surprise.
“I worked for the sheriff for 8 years and I have never seen anything in this county set up like this." Says David Hall, an ABC Agent
What did they find?
A suspicious pole standing from the floor to the ceiling, dozens of liquor bottles, cases of beer, and 3 gallons of moonshine which can be particularly dangerous to the public.
"The major concern is how it’s distilled and made. You are at risk for Lead Poisoning.
It’s made out in the woods and things could get in and cause problems for different people." says Hall.
The store owner- 34 year old Donald Lashley of Slocomb is responsible for this wet fiasco in a dry county.
He turned himself and is charged with possession of prohibited beverages, possession of illegally manufactured alcohol, and failure to pay on a previous "theft by deception" charge.
"I started getting a few complaints about this place, and really didn't believe it at first. But as you can see, it’s a very unusual set up for a place in a little town of Hartford, Alabama." Says Geneva County Sheriff Greg Ward.
A Wiregrass Choppers employee who wishes to remain anonymous says Lashley was writing his employees bad checks and they didn't know about anything going on in that back room.
"I have no idea what they were doing; it will not be going on anymore." Says Sheriff Ward
A Geneva County investigator says Lashley could be facing more charges later this week after some interviews are conducted.
For now, he is being held at the county jail.
ABC board officials say that since Geneva County was voted a dry county last month, they will be actively working in the area to make sure liquor laws are enforced.