Fire in Ashford Leaves Family Homeless

By: Rayne McKenzie Email
By: Rayne McKenzie Email

Ashford officials say a fire that broke out this morning could have been disastrous. Six departments were called in to assist with the blaze. When the fire began a mother and her child were inside the home.

This situation could have been tragic, but because of the quick thinking of the mother, and fast response by volunteer fire fighters, no one was hurt during the incident.

Chief Jimmy Posey with the Ashford Fire Department said, “The house is a total loss. Nothing is salvageable."

A mother and her three-year-old son lived in the home, but early Tuesday morning a fire broke out, consuming the residence.

Posey said, "We found flames coming out of the side of the house onto the street, and immediately upon arrival, we requested back up."

While the house was not able to be saved, firefighters worked quickly to keep the fire from spreading.

Posey said, "It was very close to being a major incident. The structure was destroyed, the structure next door had siding melting, and the embers were spreading in these dry conditions, so we had a large perimeter to protect."

Officials say the fire started when a candle burning inside the home was knocked over, spreading throughout the house. The mother took quick action to save both herself and her child.

Posey said, "When we got here, she was standing in the road with a three-year-old child. We confirmed that no one else was in the house, and began our fire attack."

Red Cross responded to the fire to provide assistance for the family. The mother and her son are staying with friends until a more permanent situation can be arranged.

Firefighters from Ashford, Webb, Cowarts, Lovetown, Pansey, and the City of Dothan helped bring the fire under control.

You must be logged in to post comments.

Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:
WTVY-TV 285 N Foster Street Dothan, AL 36303 334-792-3195
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 30585599 -
Gray Television, Inc.