It's National Burn Awareness Week. Statistics how thousands of people in the U.S., each year, accidentally lose their lives or are burned in residential fires.
But authorities say with proper precautions, most of those fires are preventable.
Here's some tips you can follow:
- Install smoke alarms on every floor of your home, including the basement, and outside each sleeping area.
- Test the alarms once a month, and replace ones that are 10 or more years old.
- Second, install an automatic home fire sprinkler system.
- Sprinklers can contain and even extinguish a home fir in less time than it takes the fire department to arrive.
- And lastly, plan your escape. Draw a floor plan of your home, marking two ways out of each room. Go over the plan with your household so everyone knows how to escape.