Alabama State Fire Marshals have identified the cause of a fatal fire in Kinston on Jan. 18.
The fire claimed the life of 18-month-old D. J. Wise and injured his five-year-old sister and three-year-old brother.
Investigators have determined the fire happened while the three-year-old was playing with a cigarette lighter and set fire to a piece of paper which flamed up. His sister threw a blanket over the burning paper.
The two children hid under a bed where they were later rescued.
The 16-year-old babysitter was able to rescue the girl by breaking a window and pulling her out from underneath the bed.
A Kinston volunteer fireman was able to rescue the three-year-old boy from beneath the same bed by pulling him through the same window.
Rescuers were unable to reach the toddler who was in a different room.
|Get the ingredients you need to cook with Rach all week long.|
|Full length exclusive concerts from hot artists.|
|Take a break!
Classic Pacman, Frogger, Asteroids and more.
Sell almost anything locally.