North Carolina authorities are investigating how a worker's severed finger ended up in a carton of frozen custard.
A customer, Clarence Stowers, bought the pint of chocolate custard on Sunday in Wilmington. He says he opened it at home, and when he saw the finger, he thought it was a piece of candy and put it in his mouth.
The shop's owner confirms that an employee lost part of a finger in a food-processing machine.
The Wilmington Star-News reports another employee cut off part of an index finger on the same machine last summer. A state labor department investigation cleared the shop of wrong-doing.
The department is now looking into the latest incident, and trying to find out whether the store was in compliance with state workplace safety rules. A spokesman says the probe will probably take about two weeks.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.