ORANJESTAD, Aruba (AP) - Aruba's chief prosecutor says one of three top suspects in the disappearance of Natalee Holloway wrote during an Internet chat session that the teenager was dead.
Prosecutor Hans Mos released the information today.
Mos refused to identify the person who wrote the message. But he says discovery of the message contributed to the decision to re-arrest Joran van der Sloot and brothers Deepak and Satish Kalpoe last month.
The men were subsequently released after they refused to speak to authorities about newly uncovered evidence. The Aruba Public Prosecutor's Office said Tuesday it will not charge the three.
Mos said the re-arrests had been warranted by the circumstantial evidence. That included statements from witnesses who said the three behaved strangely in the hours after Holloway vanished.
Holloway of Mountain Brook was 18 on May 30, 2005 when she disappeared during an Aruba vacation with her high school graduating class.
(Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.