BIRMINGHAM, Ala., October 26, 2012 — Even though Hurricane Sandy is not forecasted to effect Alabama, the American Red Cross encourages Alabama residents to download its Hurricane App, create or update their family disaster plan, and restock their emergency preparedness kits. Also, our staff and volunteers are monitoring the progress of this and other storm systems and if need be, we are on standby to deploy trained Red Cross volunteers to help in other areas of the country.
The American Red Cross Hurricane App puts lifesaving information right in the hands of people who live in or who visit hurricane prone areas. This free app—available in English or Spanish—is for use on both iPhone and Android platforms. It gives users instant access to local and real time information on what to do before, during and after hurricanes. The app also includes a number of features that allow people to monitor personalized weather alerts in locations where family and friends reside and share information with others in their social networks who might also need it.
“We want everyone to be to be ready for the possible effects of a hurricane,” said Chris Osborne, Communications Officer for the Alabama Red Cross. “The American Red Cross has resources to help people plan for emergencies and prepare their households and workplaces.”
Other features of the app include:
• One touch “I’m safe” messaging that allows users to broadcast reassurance to family and friends via social media outlets that they are out of harm’s way;
• Location-based NOAA weather alerts for the United States and its territories users can share on social networks;
• Remote monitoring of personalized weather alerts where family and friends reside;
• Locations of open Red Cross shelters;
• Simple steps and checklists people can use to create a family emergency plan;
• Preloaded content that gives users instant access to critical action steps, even without mobile connectivity;
• Toolkit with flashlight, strobe light and audible alarm; and
• Badges users can earn through interactive quizzes and share on social networks.
The Hurricane can be found in the iTunes or Google Play app stores by searching for American Red Cross. The Red Cross First Aid App helps people learn what to do in an emergency in case help is delayed. Download all of the preparedness apps at redcross.org/mobile-apps. People can go to redross.org for additional information and resources.