GA Having Trouble with Program Replacing Immigrants with Probationers

By: Associated Press and CNN
By: Associated Press and CNN

Georgia is having mixed results with a new program replacing migrant farm workers with probationers.

Republican Gov. Nathan Deal started the program after farmers complained a crackdown on illegal immigrants was scaring away the mostly Latino workers needed to harvest labor-intensive crops like blueberries and cucumbers.

The first probationers started work last week at a cucumber farm.

Probationer Robert Dawson says he thinks the program is a good idea and farmers should have been hiring legal U.S. residents all along.

But he was one of few to spend more than eight hours in the fields.

Crew leader Benito Mendez says most of the probationers wouldn't work a full day in the heat or keep pace with his Hispanic crews.

He says on two days, all the probationers quit by mid-afternoon.

• by HTaylor Location: Dothan on Aug 1, 2011 at 11:06 AM
    I would not give them an option, I would work them madatorily 6 hours and then rotate another crew in for the remaider each day. I would delegate a portion of what they make to pay their child support or other obligations and the rest to the state for their housing and up keep.
  • by knowa on Jul 20, 2011 at 09:23 AM
    They get $200 a day, its more than the Hilton and they got whole Family's in Texas private prisons Mommy's having baby's on the concrete. Big Big $$$$
  • by Freedom on Jul 20, 2011 at 02:57 AM
    Why don't they just let some of the 12 cent an hour slaves at DRJ in Folkston private prison out. I am sure the private prison corporation could keep the difference
  • by Lily the mexican Location: Dothan on Jul 7, 2011 at 09:33 AM
    Como on AMERICANS you can do it!! Hahaha yeah right!! All day in the un just for 8 an hr!! Hahahhaha!!
      by Anonymous on Jul 7, 2011 at 12:51 PM in reply to Lily the mexican
      Better be careful or you want be getting your food stamps. Yall got 2 a hour, hahaha ! Now yall getting zip.
        by Lily the mexican on Jul 8, 2011 at 06:21 AM in reply to
        Sorry to burst your bubble honey but im a us citizen!! So i dont work doing that thank you very much!! Sooo i can say n speak my mind all i want freedom of speech!! Haha Food stamps no i dont think so not me!! Maybe urself
      by Bunny on Jul 11, 2011 at 09:24 PM in reply to Lily the mexican
      Your comments about Americans are always so hateful and racist sounding. Is that how you hope to change people's minds towards Mexican immigrants?
  • by Donald Location: Samson on Jul 6, 2011 at 01:23 PM
    H*ll yeah, it's hot as h*ll out there. I've loaded watermelons when I was a teenager and it is some hard work. I wouldn't do it now for 8 dollars a hour.Those hispanic people sure can work. You know people on probation are not going to work. Theres a man that lives above me thats on probation and he don't hit a lick for nothing. Ol' gal he lives with is stupid enough to pay his probation.I work at night in a factory. Night labor is better than day labor, to me it is.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 125076129 - wtvy.com/a?a=125076129